Language Arts Learning Specialist
The Fenn School, Concord, MA
Part-Time Language Arts Learning Specialist
The Fenn School, an independent day school located in Concord, MA, for boys in grades four through nine, seeks candidates for the part-time position of Language Arts Learning Specialist.
The Fenn School is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body. A successful candidate will, therefore, be a proactive and collaborative educator who is also committed to the manifestation of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in the Fenn community. The ideal candidate will be able to support Fenn’s mission in all work with students, parents, faculty, and staff. Fenn strongly encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Provide tutoring services in some or all of the following areas: writing, active reading, and learning strategies (test taking, test preparation, organizing and prioritizing, note taking, paraphrasing and summarizing, and memory skills).
- Work with students in one-to-one or one-to-two situations.
- Generate student-specific goals and strategies.
- Assist each student’s acquisition of skills while reinforcing an understanding of basic concepts.
- Bridge the gap between class lessons and independent work.
- Coordinate with classroom teachers to provide assistance with assignments.
- Communicate with families concerning each student’s progress toward meeting goals.
- Promote critical thinking and self-advocacy.
- Prior teaching or tutoring experience.
- Strong background in language arts, preferably a degree in Special Education with a focus in reading remediation.
- Experience with curriculum-based assessment.
- Deep knowledge base regarding the acquisition of reading and writing skills and the early elementary remediation of reading and writing deficits.
- Ability to differentiate instruction to accommodate various student learning profiles.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Usage of and comfort with Google Drive and its applications.
- Experience with and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion work in a school setting.
- A desire for and track record of professional growth.
- An interest in and understanding of working with elementary and middle school boys.
Fenn offers a highly competitive salary and a generous benefits package. Interested candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest, resume, statement of educational philosophy, and contact information for professional references via email attachment to Nat Carr, Assistant Head of School for Faculty and Professional Development, at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Receipt of materials will be acknowledged via email.
The Fenn School does not discriminate in hiring or terms or conditions of employment on the basis of sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, age, marital status, military or veteran status, application for military service, race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.