Kindergarten Judaics/Hebrew Teacher
JCDS, Boston’s Jewish Community Day School, Watertown, MA
A JCDS teacher models the core values of a JCDS education: integrity, perseverance/resiliency, curiosity, multiple perspectives/empathy, problem solving, reflection and evidence, and creates a student-centered, rigorous, play-infused learning environment for students.
A Kindergarten Jewish Studies and Hebrew teacher team teaches a class of students with another teacher. Candidates for this position should demonstrate a passion for teaching young children as well as a deep understanding of how to design and run an academic program that meets the social, emotional, intellectual and physical development of young children. The Jewish Studies and Hebrew teacher is responsible for Hebrew language acquisition using the Proficiency approach, and Chumash and t’fillah content and skill acquisition. The candidate should possess excellent communication, organization and class management skills and should demonstrate a desire to work collaboratively with colleagues in the classroom to create a joyful, Jewish learning community.
- Lead instruction in Hebrew Language teaching and development;
- Lead instruction in Chumash and t’fillah teaching and skill acquisition;
- Lead students in activities to promote their physical, mental and social development and their school readiness;
- Evaluate the progress of students and discuss progress results with students, parents and administrators; ● Develop course materials and curriculum content;
- Set up and maintain a classroom space that supports a play based approach to instruction;
- Identify children’s individual learning needs and design learning experiences to support them; ● Work with other classroom teachers to ensure a cohesive, loving classroom environment
A JCDS teacher should possess, and be open to cultivating, the following skills:
- Supporting the creation of a joyful, Jewish learning environment;
- Team Teaching (including shared leadership, a collaborative culture, working together to achieve agreed-upon goals, personal accountability, and clear communication);
- Knowledge of and expertise in the proficiency approach to Hebrew language development;
- Demonstrated ability to teach Hebrew language, Chumash and t’fillah;
- Experience designing Chumash and t’fillah learning experiences that are organized around an inquiry/student centered approach to instruction;
- Working collaboratively with colleagues;
- Fostering and modeling Growth Mindset
- Differentiating for diverse learners;
- Responding to unexpected student behaviors;
- Fostering teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships;
- Integrating multiple perspectives into teaching, including perspectives across various social identities;
- Engaging in reflection around one’s teaching practices;
- Implementing effective assessments and using the data to inform teaching
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, placing the title of “Kindergarten Jewish Studies and Hebrew Teacher” in the subject line.
JCDS is a pluralist co-educational Jewish day school serving students from families across a wide spectrum of Jewish beliefs and practices. Visit our website at jcdsboston.org for more information.
JCDS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.