Interim Associate Athletic Director
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
Interim Associate Athletic Director
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston. Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
The Interim Associate Athletic Director is a full-time, 11-month, exempt staff position reporting to the Athletic Director and assisting with overseeing the overall operations of the athletic department. This position is expected to coach and encompasses a diverse range of responsibilities including budgeting, scheduling games and practices, supervising transportation logistics, handling social media accounts, managing game day operations, providing leadership training, collaborating with the Athletics Leadership Board, nurturing public relations, and offering coaching coverage when necessary. This position may be a housed or non-housed position; if housed, additional residential duties are required.
• Coach two seasons: Head Coach of a Varsity Girls’ Team and Assistant Coach of another Varsity Team.
• Build trust and foster a supportive environment for all our athletes. Serve as a mentor and guide to female
Scheduling, Budgeting, and Coordination:
• Schedule all games and practices, considering facility availability, team schedules, and league requirements.
• Schedule and facilitate all off-campus games.
• Collaborate with Milton Academy varsity coaches to create schedules that prioritize the well-being of student-
athletes and support the athletics program.
• Ensure the athletics schedule is consistently posted online and kept up-to-date throughout the season.
• Work with the Campus Services & Events department to ensure that space rentals can be maximized outside of
• Oversee the budget for the athletics department, creating sub-budgets for teams and ensuring timely payment of
• Coordinate bus transportation in coordination with the department’s administrative assistant: ensure
reservations are made with contracted buses, identify drivers, and work with operations departments to arrange
training for in-house vans/mini buses, surface and address transportation-related issues, and identify
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with fellow Independent School League (ISL) and New England
Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) schools, ensuring regular communication.
• Provide coaches with timely updates on schedule-related issues and changes before and during their season.
• Ensure meals are available for athletes, including scheduling early or late-return dinners, box lunches, or
communicating with coaches / dining services regarding post-game food orders.
Game Day Administrator Responsibilities:
• Ensure regular presence and availability during game days.
• Coordinate the arrival and departure of buses, greet teams and officials, supervise spectators, and resolve any
game day issues that may arise.
• Collaborate closely with the Middle School Athletic Director to ensure efficient operation and coordination of
the Upper and Middle school programs.
• Program and conduct meetings with seasonal team captains. Assist in developing and implementing Captain Leadership Training.
• Co-lead the Athletics Leadership Board, a joint effort between the athletics department and DEIJ office aimed at
promoting inclusion and amplifying the voices of Milton athletes.
• Contribute to the athletic department’s social media accounts, providing regular updates, engaging content, and
• Oversee the organization of athletics photo shares, ensuring representation for all teams each season.
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with external stakeholders, including parents, alumni, sponsors,
and community members, to enhance the athletic department’s reputation.
• Provide coaching coverage when necessary due to unforeseen circumstances or staff absences.
• Offer support to all aspects of the athletic department in the Athletic Director’s absence, ensuring continuity
of operations and effective communication with staff, students, and external stakeholders.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, Business Administration, or a related field required (Master’s degree
• Experience coaching and playing interscholastic athletics preferred. Knowledge of an independent boarding and/or
• 3-5 years’ experience in athletic administration, preferably in a supervisory or leadership role with
demonstrated budget planning and management experience.
• Demonstrated experience with scheduling and transportation management.
• Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize effectively.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with coaches,
faculty, staff, and external stakeholders.
• Ability to be flexible and solution-oriented.
• Knowledge of NCAA and interscholastic athletic rules and regulations.
• Familiarity with social media platforms and content management.
• Detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy and professionalism.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, to accommodate athletic events and address
departmental needs within a residential community.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive students in Milton Academy vehicles to and from
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Apply for the position.