In house Substitute teacher
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
About Brookwood School:
Brookwood is an Early Childhood through Grade 8 independent school of 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued. Because when kids skip down hallways, learn with curiosity, think deeply and take risks, they confidently walk into whatever’s next. Our rigorous academic program helps kids become innovative creators, ethical leaders, contributing citizens and lifelong learners.
Brookwood seeks outstanding substitute teachers who will manage and provide coverage for faculty absences. This position requires flexibility, problem solving skills, and the ability to adapt to changing schedules. The substitute teacher will maintain the academic focus of the classroom, provide support and assistance for students, and a safe and respectful classroom environment.
Dedicated to graduating students with cultural competency, Brookwood actively pursues candidates with a strong focus on multiculturalism, equity, and inclusion. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of childhood development and tools to guide elementary and middle school children through a successful school day.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing a nurturing, creative, and inclusive environment for students and to create a strong classroom community.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Implement lesson plans (when available) and ensure the integrity of academic time in a manner that motivates students to learn and participate.
- Create lessons on occasion for students when lesson plans are not available.
- Communicate and document a summary of the class for the absent classroom teacher.
- Communicate with the classroom teacher and/or division head all student issues (social, academic, healthy) as soon as is reasonably possible.
- Ensure adequate supervision to assure health, welfare and safety of all students; in particular COVID-19 safety guidelines.
- Perform any other regular duties assigned by administrator(s), such as supervising children on the playground, during lunch, and during pick up and drop off.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One year of experience working with elementary and middle school age children
- Commitment to culturally competent teaching practices and social/emotional learning
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and résumé to Alicia Drury, receptionist firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ+ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood.