Humanities Teacher, 8th Grade
Glen Urquhart School, Beverly, MA
Humanities, 8th grade
For 2022-2023 school year
About Us: Glen Urquhart School (GUS), is an independent, coeducational day school for students in Pre-K through grade eight. Located 45 minutes north of Boston in Beverly Farms, GUS was founded in 1977 with an experiential, place-based philosophy that integrates all subjects and creates opportunities for students to be passionate in their pursuit of knowledge.
Description: We seek a dynamic and flexible individual who loves teaching and understands how to engage middle school students in the study of US History and English. Building on Glen Urquhart School’s existing social studies and English programs, this teacher will teach a course focused on the thematic questions Where am I from and Where am I going? through study of diverse perspectives and experiences in literature, geography, American History and current events. The GUS curriculum is thematic and interdisciplinary, which requires collaboration across grades and with other academic disciplines. For this class in particular, we are interested in a teacher who can combine a study of US History with literature and current events, while also weaving in a heavy focus on written word, both with formal essay work, but also poetry and creative writing. Public speaking is also an important component of this class. This position is full time with benefits.
As an independent day school, we expect teachers to become involved in the life of the school. Beyond classroom work, teachers attend weekly morning meetings, school functions, and community events.
Key Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the mission, philosophy, and core values of the School
- Demonstrating academic excellence through a working knowledge of GUS’s core curriculum
- Delivering appropriate materials, lessons, and regular assessments of students using a variety of teaching strategies
- Organizing and overseeing class trip to NYC and connecting the trip with the academic program
- Effectively using academic technology to enhance instruction
- Issuing grades and writing comments and recommendations for students in a timely manner
- Participating in the Faculty Evaluation Program
- Participating in parent conferences and communicating with parents regularly
- Attending all required meetings of the faculty
Qualifications: At GUS, we recognize that there are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. When reviewing applications we take a broad look at the experience of each applicant in order to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. That said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you possess a majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- The position requires the ability to teach English and US History in an interdisciplinary way
- A bachelor’s degree in English, History, Social Sciences or a related field
- A master’s degree in English, History, Social Science, or in education
- 3-5 years teaching experience
Equal Opportunity Employer: Glen Urquhart School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic background, age, disability, or military service in its hiring, employment or other programs and activities.
Salary to be determined based on experience and education. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references via email with the subject line “Humanties Teacher” to firstname.lastname@example.org.