Applewild School, Fitchburg, MA
The HR Administrator is primarily responsible for working with the Business Manager and Head of School to manage the day-to-day Human Resources functions of the school.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- pension administration
- workers’ compensation: insurance renewal, overseeing claims and completing OSHA reports
- unemployment compensation: appealing claims, when necessary.
- run bi-weekly payroll, prepare journal entry
- reconciling bi-weekly the payroll health insurance against billing- ensuring that it is accurate.
- Manages open enrollment, and monitors fees, payments, reimbursements & all general ledger reconciliations for the School’s pension plan, health insurance, flex 125 cafeteria plan, life & LTD insurance, Vision plan, employment tax accounts. Compile payroll census data when needed for open enrollment
- Reviews quarterly payroll reporting from payroll provider for accuracy.
- Prepares FMLA and STD paperwork for employees
- Provides information to the Commonwealth of MA for Unemployment and MA Paid Family Leave claims made by employees
- Processes TIAA-CREF bi-weekly remittances. Annual fee disclosure notices to employees
- Updates to Employee Handbook yearly, in compliance with all relevant statutes, laws, rules and regulations and with Applewild policy and practice
- Continuous oversight of emerging laws and compliance matters and determine if they apply to Applewild
- Coordinate Faculty housing needs & prepare leases and use agreements annually
- Assure adherence to all applicable state and federal employment compliance legislation including, but not limited to :
- ERISA rules governing pension and benefit plans and their administration
- ACA (Affordable Care Act)
- OSHA laws and reporting
- Fair Labor Standards Act (overtime and compensation issues)
- COBRA (separating employees’ rights to insurance portability)
- HIPAA legislation (employee health privacy regulations
- CORI and SORI background checks and Fingerprinting regulations and ensures the schools policies and records are current and accurate
- Ensures all employee training is up to date, Harassment, Health, etc.
- CARES ACT and FFCRA (Families First Coronavirus Response Act)
- Process CORI/SORI & Fingerprinting background checks and track all employee & volunteer renewals for timely completion
- Track vacation, personal & sick time for employees
- Employment contract & benefit profile preparation
- Camp Seasonal Employment Application & Camp Employee onboarding documents
- Manage annual Workers Compensation audit
- Manages payment of and filing for all mandated Affordable Care Act reporting (PCORI fee, Form 1094C & 1095C)
- Employee paperwork administration – W-4, I-9, changing deductions, etc.
- Answering general benefit plan questions
- Employee Onboarding meetings, new employee Gmail and SIS set-up.
- Employee Exit meetings
- Annual HIRD reporting to Commonwealth of MA
- Annual salary updates in Life & LTD Insurance company portal
- Maintains updated employee bulletin boards in designated locations on both campuses
- Monitor employee eligibility for benefit programs, send reminders if needed
- Annual w-2 review and distribution to employees (not sure how Checkwriters does this now)
- Annual CMS creditable coverage filing and Medicare Part-D memo to employees
- Obtain holiday calendar from Head of School and distribute to employees
- Assist with other HR functions as assigned
- Employee Assistance in areas related to HR. Addressing Concerns from employees as they relate to complaints, harassment or others, or other areas ie. developing solutions to employee relations problems
- Offering supervisory training seminars on HR topics if needed during Open enrollment + new faulty orientation
- Maintain Employee emergency contact book through Ren Web
- Weekly team meetings with Business Office
Other Duties may be assigned by Business Manager or Head of School
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, business or other related field preferred.
- 1-3 years experience in HR or similar role
- Self-starter, great interpersonal skills, can handle confidential information
- Payroll experience preferred but not required
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation. Ability to deal with a myriad of employee issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels in the organization.
- Working knowledge of HR principles and practices.
50-70% FTE (20-30 hrs per week)
Must work during onboarding of summer camps, new employee orientation (two weeks before school starts)