Homeroom Teacher – Class 5 Boys
Dexter Southfield School, Brookline, MA
About Dexter Southfield
Dexter Southfield is an independent school where boys and girls in Pre-K through Class 12 develop their individual talents and build an ethical foundation for life. Through a traditional education and innovative programming, students learn to lead with confidence and serve with compassion. Our 36-acre campus is located on the Brookline-Boston line, just minutes from the city’s best museums, libraries, hospitals, performing arts venues, colleges, and universities—all of which serve as an extension of our classrooms. At Dexter Southfield, we approach everything we do with enthusiasm and commitment, living by our school’s motto: “Our Best Today, Better Tomorrow.”
Our lower school faculty is made up of highly talented and professional members who demonstrate exceptional commitment to instructing, engaging, and encouraging students to use their knowledge and skills to achieve their education goals. If you are passionate about sharing your love of learning at the elementary level, this role offers you the opportunity to do so in one of the region’s most respected private schools. At Dexter Southfield, we promote a culture of excellence that extends beyond academics, athletics, and the arts. We offer a culture and community in which both students and employees feel valued and respected.
You are an experienced elementary school teacher who seeks to share your love of learning with others. Being a highly energetic and productive self-starter, you also have excellent organizational and relationship building skills, are adept at guiding students in the classroom, and support them in their extracurricular pursuits. You enjoy the rhythm and energy of an independent day school and demonstrate integrity, humor, and sound judgment in everything you do.
To be successful in this role, you must be able to:
- Foster a culture of high expectations to allow every student to achieve positive results in a supportive, academically rigorous learning environment
- Maintain strong classroom management
- Develop and implement age-appropriate, well-rounded lesson plans that align with school standards and support the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical needs of each child
- Appreciate the advantages of teaching and learning in a single-sex classroom
- Collaborate with peer faculty and grade level partners to develop and implement curriculum, projects, and assessments using a variety of approaches and techniques (e.g., text, project-based, web-based, cooperative learning, discussion groups, field trips, homework, etc.)
- Provide instruction in the areas of math, reading, social studies, writing, grammar, spelling, and vocabulary suitable to the developmental age and subject matter of students in this age group
- Coordinate timely and ongoing communication and feedback to faculty and parents
- Identify unique student needs and collaborate with teachers and academic support to effectively address those needs and employ differentiated instruction
- Create a learning environment that promotes character, respect, and goodwill
- Demonstrate a commitment to training and professional development to remain current with educational standards, emerging technology, classroom resources, and pedagogy
- Actively participate in faculty meetings, in-service programs, and training workshops
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Proficiency in subject matter and subject-specific training and instruction
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and parents
- Demonstrated knowledge in teaching principles, theories, methods, behavior management techniques, and conflict resolution strategies
- Understanding of academic, social, and behavioral characteristics of students in this age group
- Ability to plan, organize, develop, and conduct comprehensive lesson plans and instruction
- Ability to provide a motivating and engaging learning environment
- History of continued education or professional development in general education or assigned subject area(s) through in-service training programs or independent studies
- At least five years of elementary teaching experience required
- Ability to be flexible, effectively manage stress, and adapt to changing work priorities and assignments
- A team player with a positive, entrepreneurial, and service- and results-oriented attitude.
- Ability to create and contribute to an engaging and inclusive learning environment and workplace
At Dexter Southfield, we promote a culture of excellence that extends beyond academics, athletics, and the arts. We value a diverse and inclusive community in which different identities and perspectives are accepted and respected to create a sense of belonging for all.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to visit the Careers page of our website to submit a cover letter and resume through our online application portal at www.dextersouthfield.org/careers