Health & Wellness Nurse (RN)
The Wheeler School, Providence, RI
Title: Health & Wellness Nurse (RN) Department: Health & Wellness
Reports to: Head Nurse Exempt Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Position Status: Part-Time Last Updated: 1/8/2024
The Wheeler School, a co-ed, N-12 independent day school with city and farm campuses serving approximately 800 students in the Greater Providence and Greater Boston areas, is seeking a part-time Health & Wellness Nurse to join our Operations team.
Ideal candidates for faculty and staff positions at Wheeler are people with a sense of humor, warmth, and humility. They are excellent communicators, with empathy for others and an ability to listen and respond with good intuition. Ultimately ambitious and hard-working, committed to supporting students by offering help and creating new opportunities. In the end, employees at Wheeler love to spend their days with young people and will enjoy all that Wheeler has to offer: creativity, energy, dynamic, and diversity.
The onsite Health & Wellness Nurse will be scheduled to work up to 24 hours per week, Monday through Friday, while school is in session (including afterschool programs). The position will assist with health office visits, emergencies, injuries, and illness management and act as a campus-wide safety resource and responder.
- Administer routine medications and treatment to students and staff.
- Ensure the health and safety of all children and staff while promoting health practices.
- Document all injuries, illnesses, and care rendered in electronic health records and maintain health records per health center policies and procedures.
- Stock and prepare first aid kits for various on-site locations and off-campus trips.
- Collaborate with the Health Center nurse by informing the nurse of clinical or operational observations that may require further follow-up
- Provide first aid care to injured and ill children and staff
- Triage and care for all ill or injured children and adults.
- Maintain inventory of health supplies and materials.
- Contact families of ill or injured children and update them as necessary.
- Contact faculty/staff members and emergency medical family/friend contacts if indicated, and update them as necessary.
- Interact with students, families, faculty, and staff members to resolve safety-related issues and answer questions as needed.
- Provide first aid care and treatment for students and staff during after-school programs and events
- Serve as a Medical and Mental Health Emergency Responder.
- Take a proactive approach to risk management and other safety responsibilities and duties.
- Ensure a calm, caring, welcoming environment for students and adults in the health center.
- Maintain an awareness of diversity and cultural values, beliefs, and priorities when providing care to students and adults.
- Maintains privacy of health information.
- Assist with duties as assigned by the Head Nurse.
- Work closely with the Health & Wellness team and the after school staff, executing the goals and objectives for campus health and wellness.
- Participate in drills as assigned by the Head Nurse and in collaboration with the operations team.
- A RI state-licensed registered nurse with pediatric or family health training preferred.
- The qualified candidate must be physically able to participate in activities and make informed and sound judgments, particularly about safety, under a variety of circumstances,
- Possess excellent communication skills, resourcefulness, and capability of working with minimal supervision, and always demonstrates high levels of professionalism.
- Certification: Current CPR/AED Certification
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
This is a 10-month part-time position. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience and education.
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Judy Diaz, Director of Health & Wellness, at firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Statement on Diversity and Cultural Competency At Wheeler:
We actively seek students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds, believing that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning, enriches life on campus, and better prepares us all for full participation in a pluralistic, democratic society. We seek to improve our community’s diversity and cultural competency through hiring.
The Wheeler School is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or disability, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
Founded in 1889 by visionary artist and educator Mary C. Wheeler, The Wheeler School is an N-12 independent day school of approximately 800 students throughout Greater Providence and Greater Boston. Wheeler’s mission, “to learn our powers and be answerable for their use,” is incorporated into our classrooms, athletic fields, art studios, and STEAM labs, as students are encouraged to think deeply and explore the world on and beyond our two campuses in the College Hill neighborhood of Providence, Rhode Island, and our 120-acre farm in Seekonk, Massachusetts. Across Wheeler’s campuses and grades, dedicated faculty and staff identify students’ learning path and passions, challenging and supporting them in pursuit of academic excellence, artistic expression, and personal growth. Our graduates are prepared for college and life as creative, ethical, and engaged global citizens. Wheeler is also home to The Hamilton School, where skilled faculty meet students’ learning differences with the individualized instruction that leads to success.