Health and Wellness Leader and Humanities Teacher
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Health and Wellness Leader and Humanities Teacher – September 2021
Acera: The Massachusetts School of Science, Creativity and Leadership
Winchester, MA (8 miles north of Boston) 5 Lowell Avenue
Overview: Acera is looking for a full time Health and Wellness Leader and Humanities Teacher to become a support for our students and a member within our counseling team, teach humanities, and lead our health and wellness education curriculum and classes. At Acera, we foster intrinsic motivation and good judgment in students within a progressive, student- centered school. For this role, we require 3+ years of experience. Send resume and cover letter which describes your educational and counseling philosophies and your salary expectations to: email@example.com
We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera school day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high capacity students opportunities according to their ability, not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation efforts are actively engaging in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity and arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and enable them to become the best version of themselves. Our mission, across our core school day program, enrichment programs and within our partnerships, is to develop the next generation of innovators, leaders and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
Bring your highly collaborative approach, and deep commitment to customizing students’ experiences to fit their needs to our school. The successful candidate will have a highly collaborative and accountable approach to support, team with teachers, counseling staff and tutors, and intervene with good judgement. We have a core school program with 140 students ages 5-15, and a summertime STEAM Learning Lab program that offers year-round enrichment to the public. As a Health and Wellness Lead and Humanities Teacher, you will use your strong skills in listening, supporting, skill-building, and facilitation to:
- Plan and lead comprehensive age-appropriate health and wellness classes for 4th-11th grade students, including sex and sexuality education, identity, wellness, upstander development, and inclusivity.
- Create curriculum (based on best practices and pulling from curricula such as OWL) to provide to other teachers teaching health and wellness.
- Partner with teachers, the counseling team and parents to assure students get appropriate education based on their readiness and needs.
- Teach Middle School level elective classes in the arts and/or humanities.
- Mentor students through our Inquiry, Maker, Passion Projects program
- Be a flexible member of the community to step in as needed across the school
- Support parent meetings and education efforts
- Continuously learn and improve practice by learning from others on staff and participating in professional development programs.
As a staff member at Acera, be a flexible member of our small school and high commitment team, flexibly helping out as needed. Ask for help, and escalate issues you see. Live and practice Acera’s core values of community, curiosity, openness, innovation, integrity, and leadership.
Skills and Requirements:
- 3+ years of experience supporting student development (as a counselor, social worker, teacher, etc.)
- Experience coordinating across staff members, as a team member and/or team leader
- Experience designing and implementing instruction
- Experience teaching health and wellness in the 4th-11th grade age range.
- Excellent organization, follow-through, documentation, and project management skills in written and verbal formats
- Mac proficiency
- BA / BS degree in social sciences is highly preferred, with additional training in fields of health and sexuality.
- Flexibility to step in, help, and do whatever is needed to support our programs, our teachers, our parents, and our students
Salary & Benefits
- School year position, Full Time
- Four weeks paid vacation (2 weeks for December break, 1 week February break, 1 week April break)
- Health and dental benefits available
- School-aged children of full-time employees are able to attend Acera’s after school and summer programs free of charge
- Please submit a cover letter, resume, philosophy of education and beliefs about counseling/intervention, and salary expectations to: hiring@Aceraschool.org
Anticipated start date: ASAP
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer:
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series.
All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.