Health and Counseling Center Counselor
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located south of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create the anti-racist environment at Milton—free from bias, injustice, and bigotry—that our values demand, we encourage each other to explore our own histories and identities, be open to learning from others, seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens, and strive to practice ways of interacting with one another that ensure all students and adults feel safe, supported, and able to express all aspects of their identities without judgment or hate.
In our dynamic community, we honor that Milton students challenge each other to build a foundation upon which to leave Milton and partner with their future communities to help create a more just world and in those spaces that are dissonant to our values, to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
Milton Academy is seeking a full-time counselor for a temporary opening in the Health and Counseling Center in the Upper School for the remaining of the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Provide individual therapy to students: a combination of short and long term evidenced-based modalities
- Provide culturally appropriate, consultative, clinical, and outreach services grounded in multicultural anti-racist frameworks and treatment modalities
- Participate in a regular on-call schedule as part of our team of four clinicians: generally, one night a week, and about one weekend a month
- Provide thorough safety assessments and accompany students who potentially need hospitalization to Boston Children’s Hospital Emergency Room
- Collaborate with the counseling team, health care providers, parents, administrators, faculty, dorm staff, and off-campus providers
- Communicate closely with Academic Skills Center faculty in consultation and collaboration to support students who need counseling and academic support
- Meet multiple times a week in group supervision with the Director of Counseling, counselors, and the consulting Psychiatrist
- Serve as a dorm-affiliated counselor. The counselor will meet with two Dorm Heads on a regular basis in order to provide consultation in relation to supporting students in their respective dorms
- Oversee specific student leadership programs (such as Peer Discussion Groups or Human Sexuality and Relationships).
- Serve as an Academic Advisor for 5-8 students
- Attend all faculty meetings and training sessions
- Minimum requirements include an advanced degree in social work or clinical psychology and a valid Massachusetts license to practice therapy (LICSW, LMHC, PsyD, or Ph.D.)
- Experience providing CBT, DBT, and trauma-informed individual therapy with adolescents
- Possess strong clinical skills: Assessment and diagnosis, treatment planning, etc.
- Experience with safety and crisis evaluations
- Possess a demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the humility to pursue ongoing growth in this area
- Understanding of educational accommodations and necessary supports
- Working knowledge of psychopharmacological medications
- Demonstrated ability to work flexibly in clinically relevant micro and macro levels from the perspective of a student as well as the Institution
- Work collaboratively in a multi-faceted setting and institution
- Ability to seek out and receive feedback
- Understands boundaries and embraces responsibility for the care of all students in loco parentis
- This position requires high energy, enthusiasm, and optimism about children and adolescents’ mental and emotional health, as well as their academic pursuits
- Candidates must be willing to live on campus as part of our on-call requirements
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural, and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply now at https://www.milton.edu/about/careers-at-milton/how-to-apply/.