Head of School
Compass School, Westminster Station,
Compass School is seeking its next Head of School to start in the 2023-2024 school year. Compass School is an innovative, award winning independent high school and middle school for grades 7-12 in Westminster, Vermont. We are a small day school that fosters a vibrant learning community and a rich curriculum dedicated to the success of every student.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and experienced school leader who will support the Compass School’s mission and culture of innovation. Compass School attracts gifted and creative staff, and the Head will lead through collaboration, consensus building, and shared responsibility. In addition, the Head will be committed to the School’s values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and they will be skilled at supporting a restorative practices community. This is an extraordinary opportunity for leadership within a transformational progressive educational environment.
Our mission: The Compass School inspires and educates students to gain the knowledge, skills, and personal qualities essential to pursuing their dreams and having a positive impact on the world.
The Head of School is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the school as well as the overall quality of school programming. The Head facilitates efficient decision-making among staff regarding school-wide issues.
- The Head represents the school to all its constituents, including students, parents, alumni, faculty, staff, and the outside community.
- The Head communicates regularly with parents through the school Newsletter and is available to discuss concerns about any aspect of the school program.
- The Head is responsible for carrying out Board policies while keeping the Board informed about program, faculty, and student needs.
- The Head represents the school in its relations with state and federal agencies.
- Subject to the direction of the Board, and with collaborative administrative support, the Head handles all matters regarding employment, retention, salaries and contracts, job descriptions, job assignments, performance evaluation, orientation, and training.
- The Head, in conjunction with staff leadership and support, supervises facilities maintenance and operation, food services, transportation, development and fundraising, public outreach, and alumni affairs.
- The Head, in conjunction with the Assistant Head, supervises academic and extracurricular programs, monitors curriculum and assessment, supports and coaches teachers, oversees the professional development of staff, and oversees the development and regular evaluation of educational programs.
- The Head supervises the maintenance of all student files and records according to privacy policies and state and federal regulations.
- The Head is a member of the discipline team. The Head is responsible for monitoring the safety of students and staff and for implementing and overseeing safety policies and procedures.
- The Head works with and supports the Office Manager and the Finance Committee to prepare budgets, monitor revenues and expenses, collections, and cash flow, maintain appropriate financial records, manage financial matters, oversee the employee benefits program, and report all financial matters to the Board.
- The Head oversees the admissions process and admissions personnel in determining programs for the recruitment of students, marketing and outreach, information dissemination, and admissions decisions. The admissions program operates as a coordinated team that includes the Admissions Head, the Special Education Head, and other faculty as assigned.
Questions may be directed to Assistant Director Louise Hodson at firstname.lastname@example.org. 802-463-2525.
Please submit your resume, a cover letter, and a statement of interest & qualifications to: email@example.com.