Head of Lower School – Early Childhood Program – Grade 4
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
Start Date: July 1, 2022
Brookwood is a PreK-8 independent school of 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued so that they can grow into their best selves. Our program focuses on building 21st century skills and graduating students of conscience, character, compassion, and cultural competence. Brookwood also offers a playful, collaborative work environment for approximately 75 faculty and staff who go the extra mile to do what is best for kids.
Brookwood seeks an outstanding educational leader to serve as its next Head of Lower School (Grades Early Childhood-grade 4, 145 students). The Head of Lower School oversees all aspects of the division, including the curricular and co-curricular programs, faculty supervision and mentoring, student growth and well being, and daily operations. The position reports to the Head of School, serves as a key member of the senior leadership team, and works closely with the Head of Upper School, the Director of Teaching and Learning, faculty, and department coordinators. The ideal candidate will have proven leadership skills, strong teaching experience, a deep knowledge of child development, exceptional written/oral communication and presentation skills, and an infectious sense of fun. Dedicated to graduating students with cultural competency, Brookwood actively pursues candidates with a strong focus on multiculturalism, equity, inclusion. The candidate will be a community builder and division leader who develops strong relationships with students, families, and faculty/staff and other constituents to foster a sense of belonging and enhance the supportive environment at the school. The candidate will put students’ needs at the center of decision-making and will be an inspiration to a high-performing and experienced faculty.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Articulate the vision and clear expectations for the Lower School in alignment with the school’s mission and Head of School’s vision
- Supervise and support faculty in meeting standards of excellence in teaching
- Help recruit faculty and oversee teaching assignments; orient new faculty and support their transition to the school
- Partner effectively and proactively with parents
- Partner with the Director of the Teacher Apprenticeship program to support early-career teaching apprentices and mentor teachers during their year-long residency program
- Provide effective support to students and families working with student support resources (Learning Skills Department, Consulting Psychologist, Director of Health Services)
- Collaborate with Director of Teaching and Learning and Division Heads to ensure continuity and coherence across grades, including transitions between divisions
- Partner with the Director of Teaching and Learning and Department Coordinators, to help evaluate, develop and implement curriculum; help oversee student assessment and the process and methods used by faculty to report student progress
- Partner with the Leadership Team to engage in professional development to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion goals at Brookwood
- Work closely with the Admissions Office to increase recruitment and retention
- Build the yearly divisional academic schedule
- Participate in meaningful student interaction (teaching a reading and/or math class offering student support )
- A master’s degree in education or related field
- Administrative experience and training
- At least 5 years of relevant teaching in EC-grade 4
A successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate a clear love for the process that is educating early learners
- Genuinely connect with young children and embrace where each child is at developmentally and have a diverse skills set to help them grow
- Be knowledgeable about educational research and trends and have a deep understanding of best practices for working with elementary students
- Have experience fostering an inclusive and equitable school community
- Have the ability to lead strategic initiatives to completion while anticipating issues and identifying effective solutions
- Be a self-reflective educator who models a growth mindset
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé, and statement of educational philosophy to Cathy Marrero, Executive Assistant to the Head of School, at email@example.com. Interviews will begin the week of December 1, 2021.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood.