Head Football Coach
Tabor Academy, Marion, MA
About Tabor Academy
Tabor Academy has a rich history that dates back to 1876 when the school was founded by Elizabeth Taber. Mrs. Taber had a lofty vision for the institution, including building character of young people from across the country. Today, we honor that legacy and embrace an international and diverse student body. Our work is guided by our principles of life-long learning, personal responsibility, and care for others. Here, students are encouraged to take risks and challenge themselves as they prepare to step into the world as global leaders.
For nearly 150 years, Tabor Academy has served the Marion, Massachusetts community as a premier coeducation, college preparatory boarding and day school. As the School by the Sea, Tabor offers an uncommonly beautiful setting in which to live and learn for students grades 9-12. The school provides a wide breadth of academic offerings for students to explore their interests, understand their strengths, and develop their critical thinking and communication skills. Tabor graduates are leaders, adaptable, and exceptionally skilled at navigating the 21st century.
Tabor Academy in Marion, MA seeks a proven, dedicated, and enthusiastic coach to lead its Football program. The Head Football Coach will oversee coaching staff, recruit football players nationwide, facilitate collegiate recruitment and oversee all football programming. The Head Coach should be a collaborative educator looking to take Tabor Football to the next level. Boarding school head coaches are teachers, advisors, dorm parents, and mentors; this individual should be looking to develop the young people in the program and the adults on the coaching staff. The program leader should have principles that align with the school’s mission, the athletic department mission, and the mission of the Independent School League. The successful candidate should have strong relationships within the ISL, around New England, and within the collegiate ranks. The head coach will have a clear vision for the future of the program and work collaboratively with Tabor colleagues to achieve that. The head football coach will promote a strong, healthy team culture and the pursuit of excellence both on and off the playing field.
There is the possibility for classroom teaching and broader boarding school responsibilities, as well. The combination of these additional responsibilities is based on the school’s needs and the strengths of the person occupying the role.
The Successful Candidate Will:
- Act as a role model and leader at all times, earning the respect and trust of 40+ student-athletes, their parents, and coaching colleagues,
- Possesses excellent task and project management, leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Model inclusion when welcoming new athletes; model respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and belonging, and multicultural competency in all areas of school life.
- Work with Co-Curricular and Athletic Programs department and league members for scheduling, film exchanges etc.
- Collaborate with Co-Curricular and Athletic Programs department to ensure all programmatic needs are met.
- Represent Tabor Academy at all ISL and NEPSFCA Meetings.
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office and meet with prospective students and their families.
- Work closely with the College Counseling office to strategize and assist student-athletes with the college process when students are being recruited.
- Develop and maintain professional contacts with collegiate coaches and programs at all levels are instrumental in supporting Tabor student-athletes.
- Meet with student-athletes throughout the academic year; provide professional development feedback for coaching staff.
- Evaluate athlete performance and provide real-time suitable feedback.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Work closely with the strength and conditioning, athletic training and nutritional teams for specific programming, injury reporting, rehabilitation, and other health and safety needs.
- Work closely with the equipment manager to make sure all equipment needs are met, and the equipment is properly fitting and safe; Keep abreast of changing rules, techniques, technologies relevant to the sport.
Minimum: College degree required, Masters preferred; 5 to 7 years of experience as a football coach, at either the high school or collegiate level
Preferred: Experience in secondary or post-secondary institution; experience running a program’s offensive system; experience as a head coach; proficient and adept to using Microsoft Teams and HUDL
Tabor Academy is eager to consider applications from people traditionally underrepresented in independent boarding school communities.
Electronic materials only, please. If interested, please send employment application, cover letter, resume, and educational philosophy to email@example.com with “Football” in the Subject line.
Tabor Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community – and hiring and retention processes, more specifically – informed by the NAIS Principles of Good Practice – Equity and Justice. Additionally, across all areas of school life, we prioritize practices based on Mind Brain Education (MBE) research; the relational skills of active listening, empathic understanding, critical thinking, and genuine inquiry; and pursuits that actively seek out and invite in diverse perspectives. At Tabor Academy, students come from all over the United States and over 21 countries to be part of an engaging community. Our diverse and inclusive student body welcomes individuals from all races, religions, and economical backgrounds and fosters students becoming engaged and committed global citizens with a disposition to act in service to the common good.
Located 15 minutes from culturally rich New Bedford, home to the Whaling National Historical Park; stories from when the city was a station on the Underground Railroad and home to Frederick Douglass; a hub for Blue Economy Corridor innovation; seafood from America’s #1 fishing port; and a landscape that attracts sailors, bikers, and golfers, Marion and the Southcoast are teeming with opportunity.
Tabor Academy does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other Academy-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices.