Grade 8 Social Studies Teacher
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world, and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
Milton Academy seeks a full-time Middle School social studies teacher for an opening beginning in the 2023-2024 school year. We are looking for a teacher who is deeply committed to teaching and working with the middle school age group and has a passion for social studies. In addition to outstanding teaching ability, we seek teachers who are inquisitive, self-directed, team-oriented, and dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
A bachelor’s degree is required and a concentration in history is expected. A minimum of three years of teaching experience at the 5-8 grade level is required, and teacher certification is preferred.
Roles and responsibilities include :
- Teach four sections of Grade 8 social studies.
- Design, plan, and implement student-centered lessons which demonstrate a deep understanding of the academic discipline, research-driven pedagogy, anti-bias and anti-oppression teaching practices, and alignment with departmental learning objectives
- Collaborate with department members and Dean of Teaching and Learning in MS social studies curriculum revitalization project.
- Collaborate with grade level team members across disciplines to design and deliver innovative cross-curricular learning opportunities for students
- Informally and formally assess and provide feedback on student learning, behavior, and social-emotional development at regular intervals
- Communicate clearly, effectively, and on a regular basis with students, families, and colleagues both formally and informally.
- Incorporate feedback and reflection to further develop teaching and learning and curriculum development into daily practice..
- Facilitate Model UN
Additional duties typically include advising, supervising students at lunch, leading extracurricular activities, participating in faculty meetings and professional development.
Qualified candidates will possess excellent communication and writing skills, and technological proficiency is assumed. Flexibility, creativity, a sense of humor, and strong work ethic and a commitment to being a strong team member are all critically important. Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse community is essential and the ability to collaborate as a member of a team is imperative.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.