Grade 2 Teacher
Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified Grade 2 Teacher to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2023-2024 school year.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all classroom responsibilities including designing, planning and implementing curriculum and instruction
- Teach core subjects including:
- Literacy through a balanced approach with direct phonics instruction, utilization of guided reading, Lucy Calkins resources and literature-based small groups
- Lucy Calkins units of study in writing
- Math using the TERC: Investigations in Numbers, Data and Space curriculum
- Social studies
- Collaborate with grade-level team members and lower school faculty on curricular and cultural initiatives
- Monitor and promote the social and emotional growth of students utilizing Responsive Classroom practices
- Evaluate and integrate emerging technologies to enhance teaching and learning in the classroom
- Communicate regularly with parents/guardians on student progress through written comments at the conclusion of each term and conferences
- Participate in learning team meetings, division meetings, weekly faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member, through committee work and weekly recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree, with a master’s degree in education preferred
- Three or more years of experience working with elementary school-aged children
- Experience using TERC: Investigations in Numbers, Data and Space math curriculum
- Knowledge of guided reading and Lucy Calkins units of study reading and writing workshop
- Strong belief in a child-centered and developmentally-appropriate environment
- An eagerness to embrace multicultural perspectives with experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- An ability to be flexible and adaptable in all activities and responsibilities, with an eagerness to work collaboratively on a team
- An ability to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares children with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. A salary range for this position is available by request. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.