Grade 2-7 Theater Director/Teacher
Solomon Schechter Day School of Greater Boston, Newton, MA
Schechter Boston is seeking an experienced theater director/ teacher with expertise in both musical and non-musical theater to join our outstanding program for the 2023-2024 academic year.
As a member of the Arts Department, the primary responsibilities will include:
- Directing school shows for grades 2-7, with weekly rehearsals starting at 3pm.
- Teaching semester-long Middle School electives: introduction to theater course to grade 6; elective course to grades 7 and 8.
Schechter’s theater program has strong performance expectations with a focus on helping each child learn and grow.
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Promote a performing arts culture where individual contributions and teamwork are valued and help students to develop a love of the performing arts
- Create developmentally appropriate lesson plans to actively engage students in learning and exploring vocal instruction, styles, and concepts (e.g., beat, rhythm, pitch, notes, and symbols)
- Have knowledge of teaching principles, methods, behavior management and conflict resolution strategies
- Ability to plan, organize, develop lessons plans and coordinate shows
- Demonstrated creativity to promote a motivating and engaging learning environment
- Commitment to create and contribute to an engaging and inclusive learning environment and workplace
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing work priorities and needs
Our ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
- A strong knowledge of the elements of theater
- Experience working in children’s theater programs.
- Experience directing children’s theater
- Comfortable managing groups (up to 25)
- Ability to create a positive supportive atmosphere where students build skills and develop confidence
Pay and Benefits:
- This is a 0.65 + FTE depending on the availability of the teacher, with a very competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- We thrive to provide a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that supports our faculty and staff, including: health insurance, prescription drug benefit, vision, healthcare/dependent care flexible spending account (FSA), long term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer matching, tuition reduction for employees’ children, paid holidays, sick time and personal time, and early dismissal on Fridays.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
About the School:
Schechter Boston creates a Jewish educational experience where each child, 15 months through eighth grade, is known, belongs, is engaged and is inspired. Faculty, staff and students at Schechter benefit from a highly-collaborative, mutually-supportive environment in which each person’s individual strengths are recognized and cultivated, and are vital to the success and learning of the community as a whole. Individuals who work at Schechter Boston must thrive in a culture that lives every day by the following cultural values:
- Believing there is no limit to better
- Providing honest and kind feedback
- Failing forward
- Leaning into complexity
- Being kinder than necessary
Accessible by public transportation:
Schechter is accessible by NewMo, a Newton-sponsored ridesharing service from the following stations: Newtonville Station (Commuter Rail- Worcester Line), Needham Heights Station (Commuter Rail- Needham Line) Chestnut Hill Station (MBTA Green Line-D), Newton Highlands Station (MBTA Green Line- D). NewMo lets you book a ride ($2/ride) from any of these stations to the Wells Avenue Business District, where the school is located.