General Music Teacher and Choral Director
Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified General Music Teacher and Choral Director to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2023-2024 school year. The successful candidate will have experience teaching in a pre-kindergarten to grade eight setting with particular emphasis on lower school general music and middle school and upper elementary chorus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach the general music program for primary/lower school students and develop the curriculum as needed
- Provide leadership as the Lower School and Middle School Choral Director teaching music skills and harmony, music appreciation, and explorations in choral music related to the appropriate grade level
- Provide musical direction in support of class plays
- Lead the school’s community singing
- Plan, rehearse and present students’ work throughout the year in performances and events such as the Halloween Assembly, Thanksgiving Assembly, Winter Assembly, and annual spring arts assemblies
- Maintain care/responsibility for school-owned music, musical instruments, equipment, and studio spaces.
- Compose formal comments on each student at the conclusion of each term
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member through participation in department meetings, regular faculty/staff meetings, committee work, school events, professional development opportunities, etc.
- Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in music (master’s preferred) and several years of related experience
- Strong vocal skills, with an understanding of piano (required)
- Knowledge of age-appropriate music curriculum and pedagogy, and child development
- Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- A willingness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
- An understanding that DCD values the work ethic and creativity inherent in being an artist and values the modeling of artistic expression.
- A willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares children with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at email@example.com.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.