Extended Day Teacher
Fayerweather Street School, Cambridge, MA
Extended Day Program Teacher
Reports to: Director of Extended Day Programs
Hours: Part-Time; 17-22 hours/wk
We are seeking energetic and creative educators to teach PreK-2nd grade during our extended day program. The teacher will work collaboratively with other extended day teachers to develop enriching activities and projects that align with the mission of the school, and in turn, the extended day program.
Successful candidates will have experience working with a variety of learners in various age groups, and be passionate about creating a curriculum that ignites curiosity and sparks imagination.
- Supervise outdoor & indoor free play
- In collaboration with teaching partner(s), develop, prepare, and implement daily projects/activities which could be STEM, arts, sports, nature, or movement based
- Adhere to Extended Day schedule, balancing the moments for free choice activities with structured time
- Maintain a safe, welcoming, and friendly environment for all students
- Work with the Director of Extended Day to maintain accurate and registration and attendance records
- Ensure safe student dismissal to families/guardians
- Regular check-in meetings with Director of Extended Day & fellow team members
- Manage behavioral expectations
- Prepare & serve snacks
- Daily prep and clean up
Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, and ability to modify programming when necessary
- Ability to respond efficiently and effectively in an emergency situation
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Self-motivated and organized with an intention to detail, commitment, and follow-through
- Demonstrates strong cultural awareness and responsiveness, as well as experience supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- Values a strong community built upon authentic relationships
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) preferred
- Candidates must have experience working with school-age children in a childcare, school, or camp setting
- Prospective employees must pass all necessary background checks
Schedule: Monday-Friday 2:45-6:15
One Friday/month 12:00-6:00
Opportunity for additional hours during school vacation week camps
Fayerweather Street School Fayerweather Street School has a rich and progressive history of successfully educating students for over 50 years. Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a co-educational independent day school enrolling approximately 200 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. Located in the Fresh Pond neighborhood in Cambridge, Fayerweather offers a progressive, hands-on experiential learning environment where the pace of childhood is respected, and where children develop a love of learning, know how they learn best, and have voice and agency in their school community. We help young people develop the knowledge, skills and awareness to flourish in a complex, diverse and increasingly interdependent world. We believe that truly knowing each child is the heart of a great education, and we are committed to building a diverse, welcoming and equitable community in which compassion, humor and respect are woven throughout the curriculum and spirit of the day.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: EXTENDED DAY TEACHER. Please be prepared to provide at least three references, and at least one of your references must be, or have been, your direct supervisor.