Executive Assistant to the Head of School & Academic Program
Fayerweather Street School, Cambridge, MA
Position: Executive Assistant to the HOS & Academic Program
Reports to: Head of School; Assistant Head of School
Hours: Fulltime (7:45 – 4:30pm) (Starting ASAP)
Primary Purpose of the Job: The Executive Assistant to the Head of School is responsible for managing the Head of School’s Office including managing the HOS calendar and events, as well as supporting the work of the Assistant Head of School, which includes overseeing the management of the calendar and other important projects for the academic program. The Executive Assistant will also manage the meeting calendar for the Board of Directors, and the Board Chair. This position handles sensitive and confidential matters for the Head of School and therefore must be able to practice good judgement, professionalism, and discretion. The Executive Assistant also supervises the front desk management position.
Supporting the Head of School and the Academic Program
- Enhance the Head of School’s effectiveness by providing the Head of School necessary information and support and representing the Head of School to others.
- Schedule and confirm all appointments for the Head of School; organize and review daily priorities for the HOS.
- Manage the school wide master calendar and coordinate with all FSS teams
- Oversee, in collaboration with the front desk admin manager, the process of managing and scheduling substitutes and coverage for teacher absences.
- Plan and lead the Administration Bi-weekly meeting.
- Oversees the management of the front desk; draft the head of school emails, manage mail and other correspondence; make travel arrangements for conferences and similar events.
- Provide administrative support for the Head and Assistant Head regarding special projects, i.e., administrative searches, strategic planning, AISNE accreditation, new initiatives, and other related duties.
- Facilitate communication and cooperation between various Fayerweather stakeholders and between the Head of School, Assistant Head of school, external colleagues, and organizations.
- Oversee membership renewals and updates of professional organizations on behalf of the Head of School (NAIS, AISNE, Carney Sandoe, Heads Network etc).
- Maintain confidence of school community by keeping information confidential.
- Reconciles Head of School business expenses and manages reimbursements.
- Support the Director of Finance and Operations with disbursement of yearly employment agreements.
- Provide support to the Board of Directors and Board Chair by assisting in setting up board meetings; monthly committee meetings; managing logistics and ordering food and other essentials for meetings.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Believes in the mission of Fayerweather Street School and demonstrates a love for learning and for students.
- Interested Candidates must have strong written and verbal communication skills; scheduling (Google calendar); has outstanding organization and management skills; understands how to manage travel logistics; demonstrated ability to support and work in partnership with a high-energy leader(s) in a fast-paced work environment; demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently with little supervision.
- A welcoming and personable demeanor and can effectively communicate, manage emotions, and can engage effectively with others
- Appreciation of equity and diversity, and can demonstrate cultural competence and responsiveness—the ability to work well with students, families, and employees from different walks of life.
- Flexible, nimble thinker; thoughtful and efficient problem-solver; strong ability to look ahead and plan effectively, deftly anticipating and avoiding roadblocks.
- Three or more years of experience in a related field, preferred. Proficient in Google suite, MS Office suite, and Zoom/video meeting software; experience with data management systems, such as student, sales, or donor CRM software, desirable.
Fayerweather Street School has a rich and progressive history of successfully educating students for over 50 years. Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a co-educational independent day school enrolling approximately 205 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. Located in the Fresh Pond neighborhood in Cambridge, Fayerweather offers a progressive, hands-on experiential learning environment where the pace of childhood is respected, and where children develop a love of learning, know how they learn best, and have voice and agency in their school community. We help young people develop the knowledge, skills and awareness to flourish in a complex, diverse and increasingly interdependent world. We believe that truly knowing each child is the heart of a great education, and we are committed to building a diverse, welcoming and equitable community in which compassion, humor and respect are woven throughout the curriculum and spirit of the day.
Fayerweather Street School welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their teaching and learning.
Fayerweather Street School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition, or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Employment@Fayerweather.org. Please be prepared to provide at least three references, and at least two of your references must be, or have been, someone you directly reported to.