Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
The English department seeks a full-time English instructor to begin in the 2022-23 academic year. We are looking for a candidate interested in being part of a collaborative group of English teachers and working with highly motivated high school students in a diverse residential community.
Applicants should be prepared to teach literature and writing in multiple genres to students at all high school levels, and committed to teaching texts from diverse voices. Preferred candidates will have an advanced degree in English or related subjects and at least two years of teaching experience. Enthusiasm for working with adolescents both inside and outside of the classroom is essential. Student writing conferences, advising, working as dormitory faculty, and leading extracurricular activities are integral parts of the job.
Additional Information Requested with your application:
In addition to a CV, applicants should submit a cover letter and/or teaching statement indicating a specific interest in teaching at a residential high school that is actively committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
While individual responsibilities will vary from one faculty position to another, the major job duties of all faculty members include the following:
- Teaching:Faculty teach four classes per trimester. All classes are student-centered discussions around a Harkness table. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dormitory life. Each faculty member is generally responsible for dorm duty one weekend per month and one to three week nights per week, depending on the dormitory size.
- Advising:Faculty are expected to serve as mentors to student advisees throughout students’ time at Exeter. The adviser is the main liaison between an advisee’s family/guardian and the Academy.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- Experience teaching in a classroom setting for a minimum of 2 years.
- Diversity or cultural competency education (e.g. conferences, seminars, in-service programs, coursework, independent study).
- Willingness to enforce all school policies and rules governing student behavior.
- Proof of authority to work in the United Stated, full time.
- Successful completion of a criminal background check, renewed every 5 years.
- Clean Driving record.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment health screen
ALL CANDIDATES MUST UPLOAD A CV, A COVER LETTER OR TEACHING STATEMENT, AND A LIST OF REFERENCES