English Department Chair
The Rashi School, Dedham, MA
The Rashi School is the Boston-area K-8 Reform Jewish independent school. In our warm and inclusive community, children are appreciated for who they are as they learn and develop their identities. With the school’s foundation of rigorous academics and differentiated instruction and a mission rooted in social justice, we want our students to ask the tough questions—not just the who, what, where, but the how, why, and what can I do to fix it? Rashi graduates have the confidence to try new things and to fail forward. With kindness at their core, they become change agents in the school and beyond.
The Rashi Middle School seeks to promote students’ academic, social, and emotional growth by nurturing an environment that promotes risk taking, flexibility, adaptability, empathy and resilience. We are looking for educators with a history of positive, caring student-teacher interactions, rich content expertise, and student-centered approaches to join a team of exceptional faculty who utilize a strength based approach to empower students to be their best selves in and out of the classroom.
We are seeking a knowledgeable, inspiring, collaborative and dynamic educator and leader to join the Rashi School. This position would include teaching two sections of grade 8 English and include leadership work in curriculum and pedagogy in English grades k-8. As a department chair, the position also includes visiting classrooms in grades k-8 ensuring the successful implementation of the curriculum, as well as mentoring teachers and providing them with tools to implement the curriculum. Familiarity with both Lower School and Middle School curriculum and pedagogy is preferred.
All teachers and leaders at Rashi encourage and model interdisciplinary thinking, finding touch points within their subjects, or within disciplines and relating them back to the yearly Essential Question. Our English classes develop students’ reading and writing skills, focusing on close reading of texts and sources, reasoning, use of evidence, and the foundational skills of effective writing and communication. In addition to teaching engaging, challenging, and student-centered classes, English teachers provide frequent opportunities for students to write analytically, reflectively, and creatively, and offer timely and meaningful feedback. In class discussions, teachers foster an environment where students actively engage with their own and their peers’ ideas and questions in a thoughtful, academic, and respectful manner. Students practice debate, discussion and presentation skills through their coursework, and are offered choice and voice through project based learning and gamification. Additionally, English teachers in particular provide instruction so that students have a rich and varied knowledge of vocabulary and attain a thorough knowledge of correct grammar usage.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oversee English/LA curriculum review, changes, development and implementation k-8 with appropriate grade level teachers and administration
- Conduct classroom observations and provide teachers with resources and/or pedagogical tools that support teachers in the implementation of curriculum
- Cultivate and maintain a healthy and trusting learning environment, encouraging and nurturing relationships with students
- Guide students in their social-emotional development and in their ability to establish positive and rewarding relationships
- Teach 2-3 sections of Middle School English
- Lead a Middle School Advisory and participate in all areas of Middle School life.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, the Middle School Learning Specialist, and Middle School Dean of Students and the Head of Middle School to support and challenge all learners that you teach
- Communicate with families in positive and professional ways including email, phone calls, meetings and parent-teacher conferences.
- Write report cards twice a year and high school recommendations
- Meaningfully integrate technologies into the classroom
- Attend relevant meetings during the school day and faculty meetings on Wednesdays after school.
- Share duties (recess, lunch, etc.) set by the Head of Middle School
- Participating in other aspects of school life as determined by the Head of Middle School and/or Head of School.
- Continuous learner
- Open to feedback
- Strong communicator
- Demonstrates joy working with middle school students
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Belief in Rashi’s Mission and Core Values
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, education or related field required. Master’s degree in English or related fields preferred.
- 5 to 7 years experience teaching, preferably with Middle School students
- Previous experience leading an English or Humanities Department preferred
- Able to sit, type, twist, bend, use telephone and computers.