Elementary Lead Teacher (Grades PreK – 5)
Derby Academy, Hingham, MA
Derby Academy, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8 coeducational day school located in Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks an Elementary Lead Teacher beginning in August 2023. The position will be for one grade level within Grades PreK – 5.
Rooted in the school’s motto, “Improve Both Mind and Heart,” Derby’s Lower & Middle Schools provides students with a joyful and rigorous academic environment. The Lead Teacher will work with grade-level colleagues to deliver instruction in literacy, mathematics, and an integrated science and social studies program. The theory and practice of Responsive Classroom and Open Circle guides the classroom culture. Our creative curriculum includes guides such as Lucy Calkins Readers & Writers Workshop and Bridges for Mathematics that we use to create effective instruction for each student. A collaborative spirit and a growth mindset are essential for success in this role.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- a deep understanding of childhood development;
- elementary teaching experience;
- enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to collaborate with colleagues both on a grade level, department level and across disciplines;
- the ability to develop curriculum that focuses on authentic, real-world application of learning;
- the ability to create activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology;
- success in creating a supportive classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
- demonstrated experience developing active and inclusive learning spaces in which students feel safe, honored, appreciated, and respected for who they are;
- demonstrated experience with and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact they have on the curriculum and the community;
- success in communicating with parents to provide timely and appropriate feedback regarding student progress;
- a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning to grow their practice;
- proven desire to be involved in the school outside of the classroom;
- the ability to consistently exercise discretion and good judgment;
- the leadership qualities to inspire, motivate, and develop students;
- the ability to nurture a deep feeling of community through actions and attitudes;
- strong planning, problem-solving, and communication skills along with exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education and previous teaching experience; teacher certification preferred.
A competitive salary and benefits package includes generous funding of professional development.
Derby Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, veteran status, physical ability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other state or federally protected classifications. Derby Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Derby Academy values inclusivity and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds or who have experience in cultural competency work to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their application, complete with cover letter, resume, and references by clicking here. No phone calls, please.