Early Childhood-Grade 8 Librarian
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
About Brookwood School:
Brookwood is an Early Childhood through Grade 8 independent school of about 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued so that they can grow into their best selves. Our program focuses on fostering a joyful community of lifelong learners and upstanding global citizens who embrace a culture of curiosity, kindness, and academic accomplishment. Brookwood also offers a playful, collaborative work environment for 85 faculty and staff who go the extra mile to do what is best for kids.
Brookwood School seeks a nurturing and motivated Librarian to join the school community beginning in August 2023. The ideal candidate will have a passion for children’s literature and cultivating a love of reading in the community. The library at Brookwood is at the heart of the school and a special place for the librarian to create and maintain a dynamic and joyful teaching and learning environment that is inviting, safe, flexible, and conducive to reading, studying, and research as well as one that encourages student growth and exploration. A successful candidate will align with Brookwood’s Statement of Commitment to DEIJB and actively work to curate an diverse and inclusive library collection.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Continuing to build and provide access to a wide range of resources representing diversity, equity and inclusion and opportunities for every child to see themselves reflected
- Responsibility for all aspects of the library programs and facilities
- Developing and implementing a library curriculum for regularly scheduled classes for students in grades EC-4
- Working to teach and support effective research strategies across all grade levels
- Providing reader’s advisory and reference assistance to students, faculty, staff, and families
- Working to ensure the library collections, both print and digital, are organized for maximum and effective use
- Planning and implementing meaningful benchmark experiences for the community that foster a love of books and reading
- Carrying out administrative and clerical tasks
- Managing the library budget
- Coordinating two book fairs per year
- Training and supervising volunteers
- Master’s degree in Library Science or related field from a program accredited by the American Library Association
- Teaching experience, K-6 preferred
- 3-5 years of experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with students as well as adults
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé, and statement of educational philosophy to Sophie Rothman, Admin Assistant, email@example.com.
We strongly encourage applications from People of Color, LGBTQ+ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood. Brookwood is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution and is calling on all members of its community to join in this important work.