Director of the Annual Fund
Portsmouth Abbey School, Portsmouth, RI
The Director of the Annual Fund has a convincing track record of developing, implementing and
managing an effective, comprehensive annual fund program which includes components of
constituency and alumni relations. Partnering with the development team, this manager
develops and implements annual fund strategies and programs that include the identification,
cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of annual gifts from trustees, alumni, parents, and
friends, including personal solicitations, direct mail, esolicitations, telephone solicitations, and
• Develop and implement a strategic plan of action with objectives, timelines and
evaluation plans for the Annual Fund program that include identification, cultivation,
solicitation and stewardship of constituents along with constituents relations.
• Create and administer a program and activities to solicit gifts from board members,
alumni, parents and friends including personal solicitations, and mail programs for the
• Manage and evaluate work of Annual Fund staff
• Maintain a portfolio of approximately 50 leadership and major gift prospects
• Serve as the direct liaison for alumni 30+ years out, current parents, and parents of
alumni; establish individual targets and goals, and determine cultivation, solicitation,
and stewardship strategies.
• Direct Reunion year giving initiatives for classes celebrating their 40th, 45th, 50th, 55th,
and 60th milestones, along with overseeing Diman Club initiatives.
• Develop annual solicitation messaging and marketing appeals. Supervise the production
and mailing of all printed and electronic solicitation pieces. Coordinate with Director of
Communications as needed.
• Oversee the strategy and execution of Giving Day in coordination with the full
• Use development database and report writing software to retrieve data and utilize
statistics to evaluate current Annual Fund programs and to make recommendations for
• Oversee management of and communications between the Annual Fund team and all
Annual Fund volunteers.
• Ensure open communication with Major Gift Team regarding contact of potential
• Responsible for writing and evaluating Annual Fund program and reporting of program’s
• Oversee the acknowledgment and recognition of all Annual Fund gifts.
• Responsible for reporting Annual Fund progress to both internal and external
• In conjunction with the Director of Advancement, oversee Alumni Relations efforts
including networking initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned.
Experience & qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of progressively successful experience in
fundraising are required. Experience leading an Annual Giving program in an
independent school is preferred.
• Will demonstrate knowledge of the principles and practices associated with fundraising
in independent schools, including personal solicitations, direct mail, esolicitations,
telephone solicitations, reunion giving and donor relations.
• Strong computer and excellent writing skills are required. Experience with The Raiser’s
Edge software is ideal.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to quickly adjust strategy based on data trends.
• Must be an independent and strategic thinker capable of understanding a full scope of
projects while seeing individual tasks through to completion.
• Must be able to multi-task, with an ability to prioritize and manage deadlines.
• Must be a results-oriented individual who demonstrates the ability to work well with
people at all levels of an organization and warmly develops relationships with diverse
constituencies while employing keen judgment.
• The ability and willingness to travel on occasion