Director of Mental Health Services and PK-8 Counselor
Brimmer and May School, Chestnut Hill, MA
The Brimmer and May School, an all-gender day school in Chestnut Hill, MA, is seeking a full-time Director of Mental Health Services and Lower and Middle School Counselor beginning in August 2024 to provide guidance to individual students and consult with parents, teachers, and administrators regarding the student social/emotional needs of 250 students in grades PK-8. The person in this position will teach Growth Education (once a week wellness class in grades 6 and 7), oversee the 9th grade Wellness program, and serve on the Student Support Teams in the Lower and Middle Schools. The person in this position works collaboratively with the Lower and Middle School Heads, the divisional Assistant Head/Dean of Students, and the Directors of Academic Services. This is a 10-month position.
General Responsibilities also include excellent written and oral communication skills and attention to detail, punctuality, dependability, and adherence to all personal policies, procedures, and rules contained in the Brimmer and May Faculty and Staff Handbooks.
- Serve as a resource to the community on early childhood and adolescent issues.
- Work with the Middle and Lower School faculty to promote a positive emotional and academic climate in the school.
- Implement developmentally appropriate and prevention-oriented activities to meet student needs.
- Assist students, individually or in groups, with developing academic and emotional/social skills, goals, and plans as assigned by the division heads.
- Collaborate with parents and faculty to assist students with modified educational goals.
- Provide individual counseling to students with identified concerns and needs.
- Follow up on referrals from teachers as assigned by the Division Heads
- Accurately and appropriately use assessment procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counseling services.
- Meet regularly with teachers to discuss students’ progress in school and any concerns that they may have regarding classroom behavior or progress toward academic goals.
- Supports students when social/emotional matters are present in neuropsychology evaluations.
- Keeps careful clinical notes and records of all student cases.
- Assists with the collection and presentation of student health and wellness data when applicable.
- Partner with faculty to design and implement behavior plans to support student success in and out of the classroom.
- Serve on the Lower and Middle School Student Support Teams
- Assist the PA in bringing in speakers and experts in the field.
- Excellent knowledge of child development, latest education theories and practices, and current trends in education and professional development
- Planning and organizing
- Interpersonal/relationship management skills
- Integrity and trust
- Attentive listener
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Master’s degree in mental health counseling/social work/or related fields
- Active license as a clinician (LMHC, LCSW, LICSW, or School Adjustment Counselor/School Social Worker, School Guidance Counselor or School Psychologist, or a doctoral level degree in the field of psychology).
- Experience working with elementary and middle school students; school-based mental health counseling experience.
Reports to Assistant Head of School/Head of Middle School and Head of Lower School
Please send a resume and cover letter to Carl Vallely, Assistant Head of School and Head of Middle School, CVallely@brimmer.org