Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Director of Lower School Learning Resources supervises the Learning Resources Team and provides direct services in their specialized field. The Director facilitates Child Study Team Meetings and serves on the Lower School Leadership Team. This person facilitates communication between parents and teachers and the Learning Resources Team.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the Lower School Learning Resources Team, consisting of Lower School Reading Specialists, Learning Specialist, and Counselor
- Oversees the creation and adherence to Individualized Learning Guides (ILGs) for a Lower School students with formally identified learning needs
- Maintains a caseload of students, providing s services (counseling, social emotional support or specialized learning services)
- Facilitate monthly Child Study Team meetings
- Supports Lower School teachers in interpreting external evaluations and implementing strategies for students with varying learning profiles
- Manages communications with families of students with additional needs
- Plans and executes professional development for all Lower School faculty around learning accommodations and support strategies
- Works closely with outside service providers
- Support teachers in differentiating student concerns and identify when additional support is needed.
- Serve on the Lower School Leadership team
A demonstrated ability to work in a diverse and inclusive community is essential. Additional key qualities for this position include warmth, compassion, cultural competence, flexibility, and humility. A successful candidate will be able to work effectively and constructively with faculty, staff, administrators, and parents for the benefit of students and the community.
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.