Director of Human Resources
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: October 2022
The Director of Human Resources reports to the Chief Operating/Financial Officer and, for specific projects and issues, reports directly to the Head of School, and is a member of the BB&N Senior Leadership Group. The Director is responsible for designing and implementing Human Resources strategy, oversight, and day-to-day management to ensure that BB&N’s mission is upheld in its culture, practices, and people. Responsibilities include Human Resources operations, compensation, and benefits administration, faculty and staff recruitment, employment law compliance, payroll administration, talent management, adjudicating policies and procedures, and advising employees and the administration on Human Resources matters.
The School has over 300 employees and operates on three academic and one administrative campus, and prioritizes the need to build connections across the Lower, Middle, and Upper School programs. The 2019 Strategic Plan includes a number of initiatives, some of which were delayed during COVID, that the Director of Human Resources will be heavily involved in, including professional development, recruitment and retention of faculty and staff, and social-emotional wellness.
Essential Functions and Key Objectives:
- Support the strategic needs of the School by managing the Human Resources function accordingly; articulate the School’s values and contribute to the development and strengthening of the diverse, inclusive, positive, and supportive School community and climate.
- Establish a visible and regular presence on all of the School’s campuses and develop relationships with senior leadership colleagues as well as other campus-specific leaders, faculty, and staff throughout the school.
- Provide strategic leadership to identify personnel needs related to the Strategic Plan and articulate these needs and resource requirements to leadership, stakeholders, and as appropriate, the board of trustees.
- Develop, mentor, and lead the Human Resources staff of three individuals; develop department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Design hiring and termination procedures that fit the School’s mission and conform with human resources best practices; manage and participate in all hiring and termination processes.
- Articulate the strategic direction for the School’s total compensation program; direct position description development, performance management review processes, salary planning forecasting, budgeting, and analysis.
- Implement personnel policies and procedures; update and continuously improve the Employee Handbook recommending new approaches and procedures.
- Manage the School’s benefits and LOA programs including plan design, the introduction of new benefits, vendor relationships, enrollment processes, forecasting, and analysis, claims resolution, fiduciary oversight, reporting requirements, and documentation including filing the annual 5500s and verifying the accuracy of invoices.
- Take initiative to develop and strengthen the diverse, inclusive, positive, and supportive BB&N community.
- Partner with the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Global Education Team (DEIG) on issues related to diversity and inclusivity in the School, specifically as these topics relate to recruitment, hiring, and retention.
- Evaluate and recommend ways to add efficiency in wage and hour reporting, payroll processes, online benefits enrollment, and the creation of an intranet site with useful human resources information.
- Manage and resolve employee relations matters; educate administrators and department heads on HR best practices.
- Ensure timely and accurate compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.
- Identify and oversee appropriate training for new and continuing employees including benefits education and health and safety programs; develop professional development opportunities for staff such as technology skills training.
- Perform other duties as required and assigned.
Qualifications and Core Competencies:
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned and proven school leader with deep experience in all aspects of Human Resources. BB&N strives to hire people committed to the school’s mission and values. The following qualifications are sought in the ideal candidate:
- A bachelor’s degree; SHRM or SPHR certification is preferred.
- 10 years of Human Resources experience with evidence of increasing responsibility.
- A strategic thinker who stewards collaborative work and progress toward goals.
- A subject matter expert with experience implementing best human resources practices.
- Experience in evaluating and implementing human resources software applications.
- Excellent computer and analysis skills; expertise in the Google Suite including Excel.
- The ability to cultivate and build superior relationships with all employees and applicants; an open and collaborative style.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A strong commitment to education and experience leading diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- A high level of integrity and respect for confidentiality.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in the preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.
Please upload your Cover Letter and Resume.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job-related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.