Director of Human Resources
Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Summary: Provides human resources functions for the School. Responsible for employee relations, recruitment, compensation, and overall talent management in consultation with the senior leadership of the School. Manage the SHS employee benefit programs and payroll systems, and interface with faculty and staff on all employee benefit and payroll issues. Develop and implement HR systems, policies and procedures, communications, and best practices.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the bi-weekly payroll process using ADP Workforce Now
- Oversees the bi-weekly 403(b) retirement contributions process
- Manage the annual 403(b) audit and serve as primary contact for the auditors
- Prepare necessary reports and backup materials for the annual 403(b) audit.
- Administer all school benefits programs and proactively recommend changes as appropriate
- Administer leaves of absence, medical leaves, parental leaves, etc.
- Provide services to employees by orienting new hires, answering benefits questions, and resolving employee benefits issues
- Review, revise, and support SHS’s compensation plan by conducting wage surveys and proactively reviewing salary bands on an annual basis
- Prepare annual salary increase letters and new hire offer letters
- Investigate accidents and prepare workers comp reports for insurance carrier.
- Act as key leader in managing the resolution of employee relations issues, including the senior leadership team as appropriate
- Proactively review SHS’s HR policies and procedures to seek continuous improvement and to ensure governmental and regulatory compliance
- Stay informed regarding changes in employment law and federal and state regulations and the potential impacts on the school
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships in the HR area
- With input from senior administrators, write and maintain job descriptions
- Develop and administer the School’s staff evaluation process with input from senior managers
- Manage the School training program as it relates to Human Resources, including training as required by state and federal guidelines
- Participate actively in School risk management program, and work proactively to mitigate risk in the Human Resources area
- Manage the School’s involvement in the unemployment insurance process
- Review the status of exempt and non-exempt staff to ensure employees are properly categorized
- Maintain HR Information Systems
- Develop a recruiting strategy to attract top candidates to the School to support administrative and academic department heads
- Prepare separation notices and related documents and conduct exit interviews
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer/Chief Operating Officer and the Head of School
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships in a school environment
- Maintain productive and professional relationships with other employees, Board of Trustees, School parents and vendors.
- Highest regard for confidentiality and high ethical standards required
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Punctuality and dependability
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures and rules promulgated by the School
- Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks
- Leadership/Integrity – Effectively communicates the School’s shared purpose; builds trust among colleagues; is accountable; lives up to commitments
- Team Player/Commitment To Cause – Values the mission of the School and manages areas of responsibility in a manner consistent with the School’s values
- Interpersonal Skills/Communications – Effectively communicates verbally and in writing. Relates to employees, faculty and other staff members in a cooperative manner that helps others to achieve their best
Knowledge and Skill Set Requirements
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills and payroll processing skills a plus, HR information systems and web-based applications with ADP PayeXpert experience a plus.
- Excellent time management skills, problem solving skills, and a proven ability to foster teamwork and cooperation
- Ability to work with a diverse group effectively and professionally
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or related field; HR certification strongly preferred
- Eight to ten years of human resources experience