Director of Academic Enrichment Program – GovsPlus
The Governor’s Academy, Byfield, MA
The Governor’s Academy, the oldest boarding school in New England, inspires and engages inquisitive students in ninth through twelfth grade. Our 456-acre campus is located thirty miles north of Boston and five miles south of Newburyport, a classic New England coastal town. Govs has approximately 400 students and 200 employees.
Govs faculty and staff are committed to creating and cultivating an intentionally diverse and inclusive community that allows students to learn from each other’s unique backgrounds and experiences, discover their passions, find and use their distinctive voices, and achieve academic and co-curricular excellence. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Adults in our community are professionals who appreciate individuality, collaboration, and service to others— all so that we can go far together.
GovsPLUS (Powerful Learners Unlocking Success) is a tuition-free academic enrichment program that partners with The Governor’s Academy with motivated 7th and 8th-grade students from local underserved areas with a goal of helping all students reach their potential in and out of the classroom. GovsPLUS students strengthen academic skills, build self-confidence, and participate in formative service and experiential learning opportunities. The program begins with an in-depth summer experience where students spend mornings in problem-solving and communications classes and afternoons engaged in enrichment activities which may include recreational sports, visual and performing arts, or service learning. On Fridays, students, faculty, and staff take field trips to area locations like museums or college campuses. GovsPLUS students continue their relationship with the Academy throughout the academic year with monthly occasions to reconnect and enjoy enrichment activities together including tackling ropes course challenges, creating original artwork, and serving the community.
This is a full-time administrative faculty position requiring full-time engagement when the program is in session during the summer. The Director of GovsPLUS is responsible for all aspects of running this year-long academic enrichment program for middle school students. The Director will report directly to the Assistant Head of School
- Maintain good partnering relationships with educators and youth organizations in targeted communities
- Collaborate with the Assistant to recruit student participants and oversee the application process
- Create, manage, and implement a summer enrichment program
- Teach one class in the summer enrichment program
- Schedule, manage, and implement the year-long program
- Collaborate with all constituencies to implement the program
- Oversee the production of marketing materials
- Hire, train, and evaluate the faculty and staff
- Lead the GovsPLUS Advisory Committee
- Work with the CFO to set and manage the operating budget
- Serve as the school’s liaison with national associations that are deemed appropriate for the Program Director role such as NPEA
- Work with the Advancement Office to raise the funds necessary to sustain the program
- Work with the Advancement Office to host current and prospective donors during the summer session
- Develop and implement a program for tracking the educational pathways and outcomes of GovsPLUS graduates
- Support GovsPLUS students in their high school application processes
- Teach one class in an academic department at Govs during the academic year
- Coach or direct one season in the afternoon program
- Other duties related to the position as assigned
- This position may be eligible for on-campus housing
B.A. or B.S. required, Masters preferred. Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred. The successful candidate must possess: strong organizational and time management skills; the ability to use social media and technology effectively to expand program communication; experience working with children in an enrichment program; the ability to work collegially; a passion for working with young people; a commitment to working in a diverse community; and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations.
STATEMENT OF SCHOOL VALUES
As an educational community, the Academy has an administration, a faculty, and a student body committed to learning. We pursue this commitment in a dynamic environment that fosters lifelong intellectual independence, responsibility, teamwork, service, and respect for others. We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive community that is physically and emotionally healthy. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy or a condition related to pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, physical or mental disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, military service, application for military service, or any other category protected under state or federal law. Please notify us if you wish to request a reasonable accommodation to complete this application, interview for the position, or otherwise participate in the hiring process. We will consider all such requests in accordance with applicable law.