Director of Finance
Berkshire Country Day School, West Stockbridge, MA
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
BERKSHIRE COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL Stockbridge, MA
Position Start Date: Fall 2022
The Director of Finance is an integral part of the School’s senior leadership team and is responsible for managing both the financial operations and financial resources of the school. This position works closely with School leadership and reports directly to the Head of School.
Primary duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- ● Managing the School’s financial operations to ensure financial health and safeguarding of the School’s assets, including responsibilities for: tuition billing and collection, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, donations through external platforms, external contracting, payroll and employee benefits, human resources, accounting and financial reporting, regulatory reporting and compliance, and other business operations activities.
- ● Oversee all financial reporting, budget projections, internal controls, as well as development of finance-related policies and procedures, and management of banking activities and cash accounts.
- ● Working collaboratively with the Head of School to develop the School’s annual operating budget and long-range financial projections, including enrollment forecasting, tuition projections and administration of the School’s tuition assistance resources.
- ● Prepare monthly financials for the Head of School and Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees regarding the School performance to budget, including analysis of actual operating results versus budget and appropriate variance analysis. Oversee financial investments and banking activities, and prepare reconciliations of these items monthly. Reconcile fundraising and proof of reports for the advancement office.
- ● Participating in the development of overarching school financial strategy with the Head of School and Board Finance Committee, providing recommendations, financial analysis, projections, and other data to inform the process.
- ● Provide enrollment reports for the admissions office, maintain enrollment contracts and provide funnel reporting. Manage the financial aid program by maintaining all reporting and providing data to the Head of School for decision making.
- ● Provide staff support to the Finance Committee and Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees; act as Assistant Clerk of the Board, providing clerical and meeting support: putting together Trustee and Committee meetings for the year, and obtaining, organizing, formatting and preparing the Consent Agenda monthly.
- ● Oversee school transportation, including the coordination of transportation routes, schedules and field trips.
- ● Working with appropriate external resources to research alternatives and manage the renewal of annual employee benefits, including medical insurance, life insurance, and retirement plans.
- ● Ensuring that human resources policies and practices are clearly articulated, consistently applied, and conform to legal requirements.
- ● Overseeing all activities related to the School’s annual audit, including coordinating with the independent auditors and providing the Audit Committee with relevant information.
- ● Producing annual reporting information as required by accrediting bodies, as well as state and local agencies. Input reports for NAIS, AISNE, and others as needed.
- ● Ensuring that the School maintains compliance with all state and local requirements.
- ● Manage the IT and Facilities teams.Required Skills & Capacities:
The successful candidate will possess the following background, skills and capacities:
- ● A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; advanced degree or CPA highly preferable
- ● Five years of experience in finance and accounting, preferably in an independent school or other not-for-profit environment.
- ● Proven success in a senior administrative role, ideally with experience working in an independent school.
- ● Superior organizational skills, analytical skills and a detail-oriented work style.
- ● Proficient in Blackbaud and similar School Information Systems. High level ofproficiency in Microsoft office and Google workplace.
- ● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- ● Proven track record of success in an ethical and highly confidential environmentSalary and Benefits:Berkshire Country Day offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- ● 403(b)
- ● 403(b) matching if currently enrolled in a plan
- ● Disability insurance
- ● Flexible spending account
- ● Health insurance
- ● Life insurance
- ● Paid vacationApplicants should submit a resume and a cover letter detailing their interest in the position and qualifications to the Head of School, Mary Warner, at firstname.lastname@example.org. BCD is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified persons and is vigilant to safeguard against any unlawful discirmnation against any individual.