Director of Facilities
Saint Joseph Prep, Boston, MA
Position: Director of Facilities
Reports to: Business Manager
Status: Full Time Exempt (12-months)
Annual Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000 (based on experience)
Summary: The Director of Facilities oversees the physical operation of the entire school and its programs by performing the following duties:
- Manage and perform maintenance and cleaning programs that keep the buildings and grounds in optimal working condition
- Oversee and assist in the interior cleaning and floor maintenance including but not limited to, carpet repairs, mopping, sweeping, washing, dusting, trash removal, vacuuming, stripping, waxing and sealing floors and other duties as assigned
- Oversee and assist with setups and takedowns for school events, activities and other special school programs
- Develop and maintain building systems manuals and building schematics
- Schedule and perform repairs and regular preventive maintenance on mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, security, safety, and monitoring systems, school vehicles, and other equipment
- Develop and oversee an ongoing preventive maintenance program and equipment replacement program
- Organize, schedule and supervise repair, major maintenance and construction projects performed by outside contractors and trades
- Monitor and purchase cleaning and janitorial supplies including soap and paper products
- Manage the upkeep of building interiors and exteriors including painting, varnishing and other surface treatments
- Develop, maintain and report all required environmental, health and maintenance standards as required by law and to work with administration to ensure compliance with all regional, state and federal regulations and laws as the impact the school
- Serve as the point person for all building inspections and periodic services such as Boston Fire Department, Boston Building Inspection, fire alarm, AED, water treatment and extermination
- Manage and assist with the removal of snow and ice from walks, steps and roofs
- Oversee after hours and weekend emergency maintenance service
- Keep Business Manager informed of any potential problems, building damage, security issues and/or safety hazards
- Supports the school and its leadership
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this position, the individual is regularly required to lift equipment, furniture, and materials weighing 50 pounds or more; crawl, climb ladders, twist, turn, and reach in completing variety of job duties; work outside in hot or cold conditions for extended periods of time and work in a wide variety of environments as found in all areas of the school.
- The position requires close attention to detail, use of solid judgment and to be reliable. The individual needs to be a self-starter, works independently, and be flexible to changes in schedule and priorities.
- Five to seven years of experience in facilities work is preferred. A college or trade school degree or equivalent experience is a plus, preferably in one of the following disciplines: Industrial Management, Construction Management, Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
- Proven management skills are expected in the area of personnel, time, cost, quality, facility, and property management, Expertise in and aptitude for administration, management, construction, mechanical equipment, computer usage, purchasing, supervision, security and general service is required. Ability to manage short and long-term projects is expected.
- To perform the job successfully, the individual should demonstrate the following competencies: Oral Communication: Listens and gets clarification; responds well to question
- Organizational Support: Follows policies and procedures
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently
- Attendance and Punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time
- Takes Initiative: Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed
- This document will be the primary basis of future performance reviews. Specific measures of satisfactory performance, both objective and subjective, will be developed in consultation with the Business Manager and Head of School.
Interested candidates should send their resume and a cover letter to the Business Manager at the following email – david.secor@saintjosephprep.