Director of Facilities & Operations
Dexter Southfield School, Brookline, MA
Dexter Southfield is seeking a Director of Facilities and Operation to lead the maintenance and operations team. Reporting to the CFO, the Director of Facilities and Operations is responsible for the planning, administration, management and supervision of the School’s facilities and operations. This includes managing all aspects of daily operations and planned maintenance programs for campus facilities, structures, HVAC systems, equipment, grounds, utility systems, life safety systems, kitchen systems and equipment, snow removal, janitorial, and transportation. This position manages and oversees the scheduling of work orders, develops and implements preventative maintenance programs, conducts field inspection, oversees major capital projects, and ensures regulatory compliance. The position is responsible for ensuring that the School’s 15+ buildings and 36-acre campus are safe, well maintained, attractive and welcoming for all constituents. Responsibilities include:
Facilities & Operations:
- Manage day-to-day activities for maintenance, grounds, operations and housekeeping personnel.
- Oversee the purchasing, maintenance, and upkeep of all equipment, vehicles, building materials, and furniture.
- Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate the facilities, grounds, housekeeping and operations staff.
- Manage the relationship and work of contracted employees in the areas of dining and janitorial service.
- Oversee the School’s transportation fleet and operations to ensure proper maintenance and safety measures are taken; identify needs for capital investment.
- Ensure facilities and equipment meet all federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
- Institute, schedule and oversee all preventative maintenance programs.
- Schedule and direct all repairs to classrooms, offices, and equipment as required, assuming responsibility for routine changes and updates (e.g., painting, minor repairs, etc.).
- Coordinate, oversee, and inspect work by outside contractors doing repairs and new building (roof repair, parking lots, landscaping, etc.).
- Oversee the execution of year-round campus events; including set-up, catering, event logistics and breakdown; actively participate in the planning and scheduling of events .
- Ensure routine and timely status updates to the head of school and Facilities Committee.
- Coordinate deliveries and oversee storage and/or assembly requirements.
- Management of and accountability for the facilities operating and capital projects budgets; collaborate with CFO and School Administration regarding large-scale projects and budgetary impact.
- Procure and oversee contracts for heating, air conditioning, janitorial services, trash removal, pest control, snow removal, lawn care, and other contracts pertaining to safety and maintenance needs.
- Define and implement long-range plans for capital improvements in conjunction with the head of school and Building & Facilities Committee.
- Maintain all data and records for the maintenance department.
- Recruit, train, and supervise facilities and maintenance personnel.
- Schedule and oversee work assignments and workload for direct reports.
- Appraise job performance; align job descriptions and expectations to the School’s strategic plan.
- Liaise between internal and external constituents to address questions and concerns.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a related field; advanced degree preferred
- Maintenance/construction supervisory experience required
- Proficiencies in or advanced knowledge of building trades including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC; ability to interpret architectural and engineering drawings;
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations, fire and building codes, environmental agency requirements, and life safety standards;
- Understanding of Microsoft Office systems and etiquette (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Familiarity with SchoolDude maintenance software desirable
- Ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple competing deadline-driven assignments
- Strong customer service skills and experience required
- Effective interpersonal skills (oral, written, non-verbal) and ability to work well with others
- Success working independently and within a team environment
- Punctual, responsible, good sense of humor, and a strong work ethic
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, and pull at least 50 pounds
- Must be able to bend, kneel, squat, reach, climb ladders (up to 16’ high), and perform other job-related activities that require the dexterity of upper and lower body extremities
This is a year-round, full-time position, and offers a generous benefits package. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required to assist with special events.
At Dexter Southfield, we promote a culture of excellence that extends beyond academics, athletics, and the arts. We offer a community in which employees and students feel valued, respected, and a sense of belonging.
To apply for this position, please apply online through our Careers page at www.dextersouthfield.org/careers.