Director of Facilities
Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
Phillips Academy seeks a Director of Facilities. Reporting to the Assistant Head of School for Operations & Finance and CFO, the Director of Facilities leads the management, planning, construction, renovation, repair, regulatory compliance, design, and development efforts for the Office of Physical Plant. The director supervises four senior-level managers and has overall responsibility for a department of over 100 administrative and trades employees. They support an historic 700-acre campus comprised of 155 residential and academic buildings with an onsite central heating and power plant. Additionally, the director develops, administers, manages and is accountable for an annual salary, operating, and capital budget in excess of $25 million. The director oversees and monitors architects, engineers, general contractors, and business partners to ensure large multi-million dollar building projects are completed on time and within budget.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, construction management, or a closely related field of study required.
- Master’s degree in engineering or other appropriate technical area preferred.
- Minimum of ten years progressive and broad leadership experience in management of campus facilities systems, operations, and large construction projects.
Essential Functions/Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide overall supervision and responsibility for a department of over 100 administrative and trades employees who support Phillips Academy, a residential campus.
- Plans, implements, and administers facility project services impacting the Academy. Coordinates construction work and oversees large renovation/new building projects.
- Manages architects, engineers, general contractors, and business partners to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Prioritizes and assigns work for other supervisors and managers; conducts performance evaluations; ensures staff are trained; makes hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Supports Trustee building committee and makes presentations on status of projects undertaken by the Office of Physical Plant to committee and full Board.
- Administers and implements operations and programmatic goals, board policies, administrative procedures, and guidelines.
- Regularly performs required and appropriate inspections of school facilities conditions to identify preventative and remedial maintenance and safety needs.
- Oversees the generation and execution of Operations and Capital Renewal budgets to ensure funding is spent appropriately.
- Collaborates with multiple internal departments, academic units, Town of Andover municipal departments, and other regulatory agencies.
- Provides oversight of 24/7 facilities response operations to support students and faculty living on this residential campus.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the Chief Financial Officer.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of operations for campus facilities systems, along with regulatory compliance principles and practices.
- Knowledge of business management and fiscal practices.
- Knowledge of public safety and security procedures.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local building standards and codes.
- Skill in budget and resource management.
- Skill in independent decision making.
- Skills using technology and software including office 365.
- Skill in personnel leadership and supervision, along with management of large organizations.
- Ability to attend local and state regulatory board meetings held after normal business hours.
- Ability to adapt and maintain professional composure in emergency and crisis situations.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective and positive working relationships.
- Proven leadership and management experience.
- Oversight and management of a department of over 100 administrative and trade employees.
- Supervision includes planning, assigning, scheduling, and reviewing work to ensure quality standards are met.
Please include a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this position.
Phillips Academy requires that all faculty, staff, and administrators, subject to disability and religious accommodation exceptions under federal and state law, be up to date with their COVID vaccination, which includes any boosters that have been added to meet the CDC definition of up to date. For student-facing faculty, staff and administrators, this now includes the new bivalent booster.
Phillips Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service or any other characteristic protected by law. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI, and fingerprinting background checks as well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.