Director of Communications and Marketing
Groton School, Groton, MA
Reporting to the Dean of Strategic Operations, and working closely with the Headmaster and other administrators on campus, the Director of Communications and Marketing serves as the school’s communications and marketing strategist, leading the design and implementation of a multi-year strategy focused on producing clear and effective communications while ensuring brand identity, messaging coherence, and consistency across all channels.
- Contributes to the design and implementation of the school’s short- and long-term communications and marketing strategy, working collaboratively with the Headmaster, Dean of Strategic Operations, Director of Digital Communications, and senior administrators across campus
- Maintains the school’s style guide, supervising all public-facing written communications to ensure compliance
- Develops and maintains a communications calendar to ensure timely and coordinated publication of news and announcements
- Oversees the school’s public relations strategy, writing press releases and maintaining relationships with important local and regional news organizations
- Generates and edits written content to be used in publications, social media, online newsletters, and on the website
- Edits and produces the school’s magazine, the Quarterly, leading creative direction and design, contracting writers, designers, and printers as needed for production
- Partners with the Director of Digital Communications to manage online communications, website design, social media strategy, livestreaming events, and generations of photo and video content for web and print publications
- Additional duties as assigned
- 10-plus years of experience in communications, marketing, and/or journalism, preferably in the independent school or college/university setting
- Strong editorial skills and experience generating news content
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a variety of constituencies, including the Headmaster, Board of Trustees, faculty and staff, alumni, parents, and friends of the school
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong computer skills, and proficiency with database software systems
- Commitment to Groton’s mission, including its focus on access and inclusion, and the ability to communicate this mission effectively to constituents
- Willingness and ability to participate fully in a boarding school community, working nights and weekends as needed and taking on additional duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Community safety is a top priority at Groton School and all community members are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Ability to pass a background check
Groton School is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and seeks employees who reflect and support our mission-driven commitment to a diverse school community. The school complies with all government regulations regarding non-discriminating employment practices and, beyond that, provides an atmosphere that ensures all have the opportunity to succeed on their own merit, qualifications, and abilities. Groton School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or any characteristics protected by law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and 3 writing/editorial samples to email@example.com, indicating “Communications and Marketing” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.