Director of College and School Counseling
Saint Joseph Prep, Boston, MA
Director of College and School Counseling
Saint Joseph Prep, a Catholic, co-educational, college preparatory high school sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston, seeks an experienced, dynamic, and engaging Director of College and School Counseling to provide leadership and vision in the college counseling process. The ideal candidate will be adept at working with adolescents in a secondary school setting with a diverse population, and will support the school’s mission of educating the whole person. The Director will oversee the strategic support of students and families working in collaboration with the Administration and staff.
This is a twelve-month, full-time position reporting to the Assistant Head of School for Community Life and the Assistant Head of School for Academics.
About Saint Joseph Prep
Saint Joseph Prep’s culture is defined by Academic Excellence, Authentic Community, Meaningful Engagement, and Dynamic Innovation. These pillars are at the heart of all that we do to provide students with an exceptional high school experience that not only prepares them for success in college, but also develops them into courageous, compassionate leaders. A community of mutual respect and reconciliation, Saint Joseph Prep is a diverse, inclusive family centered on lived Christian values. Saint Joseph Prep offers an extensive athletic program, vibrant extra-curricular and service opportunities, small class sizes, an Academic Enrichment Center, Chapel Speaking and Advisor Programs, and individualized college counseling.
- Lead strategic planning efforts for the College and School Counseling office, furthering the mission and the educational goals of St. Joseph Prep.
- Supervise the College and School Counseling team.
- Provide counseling for an assigned caseload of students from Grade 9 – Grade 12.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Head of School for Community Life, consulting Psychologist, and Students of Concern Team regarding the social, emotional, and personal well-being of students in need.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Head of School for Academic Program and lead School and College and School Counseling Team to assist with course scheduling, course selection, College Board/ACT testing, grade reporting/ transcripts, and academic progress of students.
- Work effectively with the Director of Enrollment Management and the Director of Communications and Marketing to ensure that college-related news is communicated regularly through social media and digital platforms.
- Direct all efforts of the college counseling process with students and families beginning in Grade 9.
- Oversee the college search and application process for Juniors/Seniors in collaboration with the College and School Counselor, and other members of the College and School Counseling office.
- Write letters of recommendation for all Seniors in the assigned caseload.
- Plan and host on-campus programs for students, families, and college admission representatives.
- Organize and submit support materials for college and scholarship applications, including recommendations and transcripts.
- Track applications and conduct data analysis of standardized testing results.
- Lead student-centered aspects of the course scheduling process, including but not limited to, student course selection, course lists, and communication of final schedules.
- Maintain and update the Webpage dedicated to College and School Counseling with current news and student achievement.
Skills and Competencies
The successful candidate will possess strong interpersonal and advocacy skills, excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as knowledge of a broad range of colleges and their admission trends. Leadership, empathetic listening and collaboration skills are essential. Experience with Naviance, Powerschool, and school counseling experience is preferred. Requirements include a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree in school counseling or a related field. Saint Joseph Prep seeks candidates who will contribute to and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references to Carol Woolston, the Assistant Head of School for Community Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.