Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located south of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create the anti-racist environment at Milton—free from bias, injustice, and bigotry—that our values demand, we encourage each other to explore our own histories and identities, be open to learning from others, seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens, and strive to practice ways of interacting with one another that ensure all students and adults feel safe, supported, and able to express all aspects of their identities without judgment or hate.
In our dynamic community, we honor that Milton students challenge each other to build a foundation upon which to leave Milton and partner with their future communities to help create a more just world and in those spaces that are dissonant to our values, to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
Milton Academy seeks a proven leader of alumni and parent relations programming to lead the engagement program. Leading a team of three, the Director will be responsible for the Development and Alumni Relations Office’s alumni and parent relations initiatives and event programming, developing and executing a robust calendar of programs and events to deepen constituent connections to the School. Alumni and parent relations responsibilities include creating and implementing a strategic vision for regional clubs and affinity groups, including alumni equity, inclusion and justice programming; directing all aspects of Reunion Weekend; and developing other programming to meet department goals and alumni and parent interests. Event responsibilities also will include events that support donor education and recognition. The Director will work closely with lead volunteers and trustees and will serve as a member of the Chief Advancement Officer’s senior management team.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
● Oversee all aspects of the engagement program including short- and long-term strategy, goal setting, scheduling, planning, communication, and events from inception to execution, working in collaboration with internal and external constituents and departments.
● Strong knowledge of best practices in volunteer management, event management, and engagement.
● Create and execute a robust program of local, regional, and international events (40+ annually), representing both in-person events and virtual offerings designed to connect alumni and parents to the life of the School, inspire philanthropic support of Milton’s mission and priorities, and recognize current donors and volunteers.
● Partner with the Chief Advancement Officer and members of the senior leadership team to create appropriate engagement strategies in every stage of the donor lifecycle.
● Partner with Advancement Communications and Donor Relations to enhance alumni and parent engagement.
● Increase Milton’s offerings for strategic volunteer engagement (regional committees, affinity groups, class secretaries; leadership councils); possess the ability to recruit, train, motivate, and retain a group of committed volunteers.
● Coordinate the Development office’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in partnership with the Department of Equity, Inclusion, and Justice. Provide strategic vision, including short- and long-term planning, to grow, strengthen, and sustain alumni and parent engagement and participation.
● Oversee all aspects of Reunion Weekend, including event logistics, alumni programming, event communications, and relationship-building activities.
● Ensure alignment with best practices for networking and engagement; leverage industry tools and event platforms.
● Lead, mentor, and inspire new and existing staff members through a combination of transparent, effective communication and modeling of collaborative behavior.
● Use analytics, event surveys, and more to inform decisions and develop best practices regarding engagement strategies; track visits, produce contact notes, code relationships, and conduct appropriate follow up.
● Willingness to travel on behalf of the School (when business travel resumes).
● Other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree; have 5 plus years of leadership experience in the development/advancement field with proven experience creating and growing alumni/parent relations and events programs; previous direct experience managing a team. A background in independent school education, at secondary or higher education level is preferred. Milton Academy alumni are encouraged to apply.
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply now at https://www.milton.edu/about/careers-at-milton/how-to-apply/.