Director of Advancement Communications and Donor Relations
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located south of Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create the anti-racist environment at Milton—free from bias, injustice, and bigotry—that our values demand, we encourage each other to explore our own histories and identities, be open to learning from others, seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens, and strive to practice ways of interacting with one another that ensure all students and adults feel safe, supported, and able to express all aspects of their identities without judgment or hate.
In our dynamic community, we honor that Milton students challenge each other to build a foundation upon which to leave Milton and partner with their future communities to help create a more just world and in those spaces that are dissonant to our values, to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Director of Advancement Communications and Donor Relations is a creative, strategic development communications professional responsible for the creation and oversight of content experiences for Milton donors and prospects. Working in collaboration with leadership gifts, annual fund, and alumni relations stakeholders, and in close coordination with Milton Academy’s communications office, the Director creates multi-channel communications to inspire giving, drive event attendance, and cultivate loyalty among constituents. The Director is also responsible for oversight of the stewardship program, focusing on the experience of Milton’s leadership donors. Leads a team of three communications and stewardship professionals.
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Advance the success of Milton’s fundraising and engagement efforts through effective and intentional communications.
- Serve as a key advisor and partner closely with the Chief Advancement Officer, members of the senior leadership team, and the Director of the Milton Fund to develop, deliver, and execute a strategic fundraising and engagement communications marketing plan that supports the priorities and initiatives of Milton Academy and outlines goals, messages, and timing. Measure outcomes of those efforts. Be a visible, positive leader within the department and School.
- Collaborate closely and partner with Milton’s communication office to shape messaging with consistent and essential branding elements, and that integrates important fundraising and engagement elements into overall messaging, in strategic and appropriate ways. Serve as the tactical liaison in the creation of School leadership messaging including event speaking remarks, donor reporting and more.
- Serve as a development communications liaison to all divisions, identifying institutional content that supports department goals.
- Develop critical content such as fact sheets, talking points, funding priorities, primers, and annual fund appeals as well as other communication vehicles to support annual fund, leadership gift, and planned gift fundraising and engagement initiatives. Create content that drives key fundraising events such as Giving Day, Thank-A-Giver Day and others.
- Identify and manage photographers, videographers, and printers to ensure quality deliverables.
- Oversee Milton’s development and engagement communications tools and platforms including webpages, enewsletters, and social media content to ensure timely, relevant information is shared with the alumni and donor community.
- Elevate the stewardship program through highly specialized and carefully considered donor communications, donor reporting, personalized gifts, and the like. Build reliable systems to ensure regular and reliable delivery of such program.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree; have 5 plus years of leadership experience in the development/ advancement field with an emphasis on communications and donor relations and previous direct experience managing a team. A background in independent school education, at secondary or higher education level is preferred. Milton Academy alumni are encouraged to apply.
Milton Academy welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural and gender balance of the School community. Milton Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply now at https://www.milton.edu/about/careers-at-milton/how-to-apply/.