Director of Admissions
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Director of Admissions
Acera is looking for an experienced Director of Admissions to oversee all aspects of admissions, recruitment and financial aid and will direct the admissions process from inquiry through enrollment. The Director will lead a collaborative effort to develop and implement both short- term and long-term recruitment strategies to ensure Acera meets enrollment objectives.
We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera school day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high-capacity students opportunity according to their ability, not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation (EI) efforts are actively engaged in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity, and the arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and develop the next generation of innovators, leaders, and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
Learn more about how we teach at www.aceraschool.org/how-we-teach.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will be a data driven decision maker, an experienced admission professional and a creative leader in admission, recruitment and retention. The Admissions Director will develop and lead inclusive outreach efforts to draw diverse families to the school and ensure that Acera continues to enroll promising students who both thrive as part of the school community and in turn contribute to the community as a whole.
The Admissions Director should be a team player who has a warm collaborative nature, positive energy, sense of humor, possess superior organization and prioritization skills and is self-motivated in the completion of their work. They will have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including outstanding writing and public speaking skills and the ability to interact comfortably with a variety of people. This person will have a genuine empathy for prospective families and an awareness of the needs and sensitivities of parents, students, faculty, staff and administrators and ultimately be able to manage expectations and deliver admissions decisions in a manner that is honest, caring, and diplomatic.
- Enthusiastically embrace Acera’s mission, culture, and community while serving as a compelling ambassador when presenting the School to prospective students and their families.
- Inspire the Acera School community to actively participate in admissions events including; individual and group tours, student shadow visits, information sessions, student observations/testing/interview, parent to parent connections, and individual family conversations.
- Create and maintain a successful admissions/financial aid budget.
- Oversee and participate in the development of admissions materials, events and marketing practices in collaboration with Marketing Lead.
- Oversee the selection process of new students including the work of admissions and financial aid.
- Manage parent and student expectations and deliver admissions decisions in a manner that is honest, caring, and diplomatic.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with area educational constituencies including area schools, preschools, consultants, admissions directors and organizations and create networking opportunities.
- Abiding by a “no-surprise” policy, alerting the Head of School to any issues that would conflict with the school’s mission or detract from serving the best interests of the community.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to present before large and small audiences;
- Strong organizational skills; ability to independently establish and manage multiple, and often competing priorities, and maintain accurate records;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively with a wide range of constituents;
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Zoom, and Google applications as well as the ability to quickly learn and adapt to new programs; Proficiency in Blackbaud Enrollment Management system.
- At least 5 years of admission experience in independent schools
- Bachelor’s degree
Term & Anticipated Start Date
Full-time, exempt, year-round position. Start date as desired, by August 29, 2022.
Salary & Benefits
- Paid federal/state holidays plus school-year breaks.
- Two weeks of accrued vacation.
- Health, dental and vision benefits available, SIMPLE IRA.
- Free after-school and summer programs for children of eligible employees.
- Prolonged periods standing and walking throughout school, classroom, and campus, including climbing stairs. Extended periods of time sitting, and working at the computer.
- Must be able to assist students who have physical difficulties.
- Must be able to kneel, sit, stand, crawl, push, and pull to assist and teach children throughout the day.
- Must be able to traverse the space and adjust one’s tone and height, by bending or leaning, in order to teach each child.
- Prolonged periods sitting and working on computer to complete necessary planning, paperwork, etc
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series.
All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI, and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.