Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
The Custodian/Light Maintenance Worker will be responsible for performing second shift custodial, maintenance, event preparation and safety/security functions for the purpose of ensuring an attractive, sanitary and safe environment for students, staff and visitors.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Clean assigned facilities and/or grounds to a high level of workmanship using a variety of techniques including, but not limited to:
- Dry and damp mopping floors.
- Cleaning, dusting, and disinfecting surfaces.
- Vacuuming and removing stains from carpets and other surfaces.
- Emptying and cleaning of trash receptacles and recycling bins.
- Stripping and waxing tile and other flooring.
- Cleaning and disinfecting drains to reduce bug infestation and ensure a clean odor.
- Cleaning of grout lines.
- Shovel snow or operate power snow removal equipment as required
- Set up and take down furniture, refreshments, or other items needed for events on campus
- Replenish classroom, break room, and restroom supplies (e.g. paper towels, soap, etc.)
- Complete assigned work plans on time and on schedule
- Clean and maintain all machines and other equipment used in carrying out custodial duties
- Store all custodial supplies and equipment in a safe and organized manner
- Assist the Night Supervisor in meeting any unexpected needs
- Ensure prompt response to and execution of all custodial work orders
- As needed, may be responsible for the completion of other work orders
- Lock and alarm all buildings in conformance with campus safety practices
- Ensure safety by utilizing proper personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Weekend and off-shift work required during inclement weather
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities
- Competency in specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the operations of the job, including operating equipment used in industrial cleaning and maintenance and the use of common tools.
- Knowledge of appropriate safety techniques to conduct work in a safe and responsible manner, and to handle any chemicals or other potentially hazardous materials using appropriate safety measures.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Ability to meet deadlines and schedules.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people, and to maintain professional relationships with other employees, parents and contractors.
- Ability to adapt to changing work priorities, and to work with constant interruptions.
- Successful completion of criminal offender record information and sexual offender registry information checks.
- Successful criminal background investigation, fingerprinting and completion of Form I-9 Employment Authorization (with valid ID)
- Adherence to all personnel policies, procedures and rules promulgated by the school.
Education and Experience Requirements
- A minimum of 3 years of custodial experience
- Ability to read and communicate orally in English
Schedule: Sunday through Thursday 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm
- Standing for extended periods of time;
- Walking across campus under a variety of weather conditions;
- Removing snow;
- Lifting and carrying a minimum of 50 pounds;
- Stooping, bending, reaching and kneeling;
- Going up and down stairs several times a day;
- Ability to work in both indoor and outdoor conditions; occasional requirement to work outdoors in extremely hot or cold temperatures.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the School may need to modify your duties, responsibilities, and/or schedule based on enrollment and business needs. All SHS employees must be vaccinated.