Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: As soon as possible, 2022
Reporting to: Director of Business Operations
The Controller will be a key leader in the school’s Business Office and is responsible for executing and supervising the budget, closing, and analysis processes. The Controller will work closely and collaborate with members of the Operations Leadership team as well as other school leaders.
- Annual and quarterly closing of the school’s books and accounts
- Managing the school’s budgeting process
- Reconciling bank accounts, and balance sheet accounts and creating /posting all adjusting entries
- Posting and reconciling revenue transactions
- Managing fixed asset recording and tracking
- Recording and reconciling transactions from FACTS Tuition Management System
- Tracking the actual fixed assets to the budget
- Recording summer and after school transactions/reconciling to systems
- Oversight of the Accounts Payable processing & GL upload from Bill.com
- Preparation of the school’s financial statements and coordination of the school’s annual audit
- Working with the Advancement Team to ensure appropriate gift processing and accounting/ preparing monthly gift & pledge reconciliations
- Reviewing and approving general ledger transactions for payroll and benefits (including leaves of absences workers’ compensation, and unemployment)
- Business office liaison for the BB&N Parent Association/ record and track Parent Association activity
Near term critical project work includes:
- Working with the Director of Business Operations on the implementation of the new Veracross Accounting Module and supporting her work in creating a new chart of accounts.
- Continued systemization of the budgeting process
- Systemization of the quarterly close process
- Review of the school’s policies and procedures
Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in accounting with at least 5+ years of experience working in school business operations as well as fund and non-profit accounting experience.
Other competencies include:
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to build and foster a collaborative team
- Excellent communicator, able to work cross-functionally on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with multi-tasking capabilities.
- Effective manager of people, teams, and programs
- Experience with or knowledge of Veracross or similar school-based accounting software
- Attention to detail and analytical skills
- Ability to inspire people, teams, and programs
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in the preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, and Reference List. Please include your connection to BB&N’s mission and values in your cover letter.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.