Computing, Design and Fabrication Teacher
Gann Academy, Waltham, MA
Gann Academy faculty are active members of the school community who are committed to collaborating and growing in their teaching practice, supporting diverse learners in the classroom, connecting with students outside the classroom, supporting other faculty and staff members, and who can self-reflect on their own practice. Commitment to professional development, growth, and collaboration are imperative to be a successful member of the Gann faculty.
Computing, Design & Fabrication (CD&F) teaches technical and creative design skills alongside collaborative practice. The curriculum of the department pursues four disciplines in depth: design thinking, mechanical engineering, computer science, and robotics; we seek opportunities for interdisciplinary overlap both within and across departments. We seek to provide both a breadth of possibilities to all students and a depth of study for our most advanced students. The CD&F teacher will collaborate with the department to develop exciting, accessible, and deep curriculum within our core disciplines, particularly in, but not limited to, the areas of design and fabrication. They will also work with faculty in other departments to identify and develop opportunities for interdisciplinary learning. Ganns state-of-the-art Prototyping, Fabrication, and Robotics Labs are resources for a wide range of students and learning across the school. Successful candidates for this position will be innovative thinkers with deep knowledge in multiple disciplines within CD&F, as well as interest in and commitment to creating meaningful, safe, challenging, educational experiences for high school students.
This is an in-person, full-time position starting in January 2022, and will report to the Director of STEAM. The salary range is between $55,000 and $75,000 annually, depending on experience.
Gann Academy is committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and learning outcomes for all. All employees participate in this commitment whether internally, in building a welcoming workplace culture and /or externally, in ensuring inclusive engagement with families, donors, vendors, allies, and others.
- Teach courses in Engineering, Fabrication, Design, and introductory Physics.
- Collaborate with colleagues to plan and adapt curriculum and lessons that support student growth in CD&F areas and interdisciplinary work.
- Collaborate with colleagues to refine and maintain the Labs.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with students, parents, and colleagues in person and via email.
- Use technology and other educational tools to support student learning.
Community Involvement & Engagement, and other Duties
- Attend and participate in communal programs outside the classroom during school hours including, but not limited to, assemblies, guest speakers, and other special programs ;
- model and encourage appropriate behavior and monitor students during events and programming;
- Attend and participate in open houses, graduation, and other special events which may take place in the evenings and/or weekends; faculty and staff are encouraged to attend student performances, art exhibitions, athletics, and other events and activities to support students and promote community engagement;
- May plan, chaperone, and/or participate in field trips and outside activities which may involve travel;
- Attend and participate in the All-School Retreat;
- Serve as a student advisor or the equivalent; maintain open communication with student support, school administration, teachers, and parents regarding student issues; remain current on the schools academic program requirements to guide students through 4-year planning and course registration; ensure that course registration forms are completed fully and accurately before signing;
- All faculty and staff are welcome and encouraged attend, lead, participate, and/or help plan any activities as often as desired;
- Help foster a positive working and educational environment for students and colleagues and support the schools mission, vision, and values;
- Work with students outside of classroom time as needed;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across all departments;
- Attend and participate in department meetings; collaborate with department members and instructional director on curriculum development, lesson planning, student issues, and department initiatives;
- Assist colleagues with substitution when able; arrange class coverage as needed and communicate to instructional director, reception, and record it in Ganns online attendance platform regarding absences;
The above responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Excellent customer service skills; ability to work with wide range of people; students, parents, faculty, staff, and community members;
- Knowledge of subject matter and ability and willingness to continue to learn, research, and grow;
- Possess strong collaboration and team-oriented working and leadership skills along with the ability to balance a pursuit of academic and institutional excellence with compassion and nurture for each individual;
- Possess an educational vision that aligns with the core principles of Gann Academy;
- Strong communication, planning, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a changing, fast-paced environment;
- Possess and exude a positive attitude and passion for teaching.
- Must be proficient in English to carry out work as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Physical demands include dexterity for office machine/supply operation including but not limited to computer, telephone, electronic calculator, copy machine, and printers. Stooping, bending, and reaching for files or supplies, and sitting or standing for extended periods of time are common.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Gann Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the school to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity or expression), and pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or veteran status.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
Life at Gann Academy
Gann Academy is mission-driven and innovative and is committed to a diverse professional community. Professional engagement with diversity and multiculturalism informs both our pedagogy, our work, and our programming.
Perhaps most of all, Gann offers a community of smart, collaborative, and compassionate professionals who care about their work, their school, and their colleagues. We help one another learn, solve problems, and have fun. Consistently, Gann professionals tout the support and teamwork of their colleagues as a unique highlight of their Gann experience, and one in which Gann is different from any other school or community. Come, find out for yourself!