Commonwealth School, Boston, MA
Commonwealth School is a warm and vibrant academic community, dedicated to educating young people from diverse backgrounds to become knowledgeable, thoughtful, and creative adults, capable of careful analysis, fruitful cooperation, responsible leadership, and deep commitment. The Communications Coordinator plays an integral role in this mission, supporting the daily communications and administrative functions that help Commonwealth deliver a premier education for grades 9–12.
This position is responsible for the creation, distribution, and maintenance of content for the internal and external communications across all digital and print platforms. They attend and engage in school events and capture storytelling moments that depict the day-to-day life and vitality of the school, compiling short written news stories, photography, and video for daily and weekly publication. This individual adheres to timely project deadlines and assumes the role as the production and media assistant for all communications and brand marketing projects. As the main social media and newsletter manager, they engage all constituents by preparing regular content that celebrates and informs the Commonwealth community. This individual may also be responsible for welcoming visitors, answering phones, and other administrative duties, as needed.
This position is a great opportunity to gain professional experience in the marketing and communications field while working closely with the development team and playing an important role in a lively school community.
This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Daily attendance is required, and some evening and weekend work may be required during the academic year.
The position reports to the Director of Communications.
Social Media, Website, and Email Communications
- Manage all content and track analytics for social media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn).
- Write, design, and deploy weekly newsletters to students and families as well as a monthly newsletter to alumni/ae and community members.
- Create, proofread, and publish regular written and visual content for the news/blog section of our website.
Serve as Assistant Editor of our twice-yearly alumni/ae magazine, CM, and support magazine production from conceptualization to publication.
- Create compelling graphics for social media using tools such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva.
- Maintain and update the school’s website, including calendar changes, directory updates, news postings, and webpage edits.
- Write and distribute press releases and maintain our Merit Pages program.
- Maintain daily and weekly schedule for content on the digital screens in school lobby.
Project Management and Administrative Support
- Adhere to timelines, manage correspondence, and process invoices and paperwork for digital and print communications projects.
- Foster relationships and interface with outside vendors, such as designers, photographers, videographers, and printers.
- Maintain digital archive of marketing assets (photography, video, and documents) on Flickr, Google Drive, etc.
- Manage the ordering of stationery items, name tags, business cards, etc.
- Provide front office coverage as needed, including welcoming visitors and answering phones.
- Act as the point of contact for all summer programs and opportunities for students.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in communications, marketing, journalism, or related field
- Superb writing, editing, and proofreading skills (familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus)
- Excellent attention to detail, creativity, and resourcefulness
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, interpersonal, and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently
- Comfortable managing numerous projects in a deadline-oriented environment
- Dynamic self-starter and innovator with a commitment to lifelong professional development
- Highly motivated team player who is energized by the mission and values of Commonwealth School
- Experience with the following tools and systems strongly preferred:
- Content management systems (such as Finalsite, WordPress, etc.)
- Email marketing programs (such as Constant Contact, MailChimp, Messages/eNotify, etc.)
- Google Workspace
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Microsoft Office
- Experience in an integrated marketing/communications role a plus
- Familiarity with independent schools a plus
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement plan with employer match
- Four weeks’ vacation in first year of employment: two weeks typically used in the summer months, one week each in December (inclusive of holidays) and March during the school’s winter and spring breaks.
- Reduced work hours for eight weeks from late June to early August
- Additional benefits information available upon request
Interested parties should send a résumé, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com.
Commonwealth School is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or any other status protected by applicable law. Commonwealth will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.