Austin Preparatory School, Reading, MA
Austin Preparatory School
2023-2024 Academic Year Position
The College Counselor reports to the Director of College Counseling and is responsible for contributing to a comprehensive college advisement program that is aligned with best practices of the industry. Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Support the School and its leadership in advancing the mission of Austin Prep and safeguarding the School’s Roman Catholic identity and Augustinian heritage.
- To assume responsibility for counseling students in grades 10 through 12 (and their parents) with regard to the entire college selection, application and admission procedures.
- To assist in coordination of the program and calendar of all standardized testing for students including scheduling test dates, registering students, arranging for special “prep” sessions, administering the tests, and providing pre- and post-test counseling.
- To assist in coordination of Advanced Placement testing in consultation with the Director of College Counseling.
- To create and maintain a Student/Parent College Guide with essential dates, forms, essay samples, and other relevant information to support the college application process for families. The guide will be updated annually.
- To assist in coordination, and facilitation of distinct college information nights for sophomores and juniors and their parents.
- To assist in overseeing the various student award programs and ceremonies.
- To support the registrar in maintaining accurate permanent records of students’ testing and academic work.
- To develop and deliver the extensive summary reports on students’ progress on standardized testing to the school community, as appropriate.
- To support and conduct individual and group sessions in all areas of college counseling.
- To write the school recommendation by the end of the junior year for the rising seniors who are applying to college.
- To oversee and support the faculty writing of the requested recommendations for students applying to college.
- To offer support in maintaining and expanding an attractive, informative and up-to-date College Counseling Center.
- To support and oversee visits to colleges and from college representatives.
- To build strong relationships with college admissions officers and representatives.
- To represent the school at relevant state and national conferences and workshops.
- To support the school and its leadership in advancing the mission of Austin Prep.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a school setting with students.
- Experience working in a college admissions setting is a plus.
- Experience with analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences, and making recommendations in support of goals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient level of technical knowledge (i.e. Apple, PC, MS Office, Veracross, Naviance)
Interested candidates should submit the following electronic documents as a single PDF to CollegeCounselor@austinprep.org 1) a letter of interest expressing the applicant’s
qualifications for this position; 2) a resume; and 3) a list of three professional
references that includes e-mail, phone number, and a description of the professional
relationship (references will not be contacted without the applicant’s permission).
This is an expedited search and review of applications will begin immediately. Qualified
candidates will be contacted as materials are received.