Chief Development Office
Esperanza Academy, Lawrence, MA
Position Description: Chief Development Officer
Esperanza Academy is embarking on an ambitious next phase of the school’s trajectory and is looking for a Chief Development Officer with excellent relational and strategic fundraising skills with a deep commitment to reshaping equitable outcomes in our society for girls. Reporting to the Head of School, the Chief Development Officer will be responsible for developing and institutionalizing a robust fundraising strategy that will secure yearly operating funds and position the school for a successful expansion. The CDO will provide comprehensive leadership, management, and administration for Esperanza’s Capital Campaign, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, and overall fundraising and stewardship strategy. The CDO will create a culture of philanthropy and stewardship among Esperanza’s friends, foundations, faculty, staff, and the greater community.
ABOUT ESPERANZA ACADEMY: We are an all-girls independent middle school with a 12-year commitment to our students because we believe that everyone deserves the right to high-quality independent school education. We, as an academic community, emphasize racial and cultural identity affirmation, love of community, and restorative justice. By creating a culture of achievement in which academic success and self-discovery are paramount, we protect and nurture the innate confidence and brilliance that each of our girls possesses.
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising, engagement with alumni, parents, and friends of the Academy as well as stewardship of all donors.
- Increase the School’s financial resources through the planning, direction, implementation, and evaluation of Esperanza’s fundraising programs including the annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, trustee giving, and campaign efforts to support program expansion, and the endowment
- Oversee the cultivation and solicitation of major and principal gifts, personally and in concert with the Head of School and other school leaders
- Oversee Esperanza’s forthcoming comprehensive campaign, working with HOS and Chief of Strategy, and trustees as appropriate.
- Work with the Director of Development to assess and strengthen all aspects of department operations, support efforts for the effective management of staff and
- In collaboration with the Chief Strategy Officer, formulate messaging and outreach strategies that will result in stronger public awareness and a broader understanding of the value of philanthropic support of the School.
- Coordinate and manage Major Gifts program, including strategies, solicitations, and stewardship.
- Oversee the Esperanza’s Annual Fund, including events associated with the program.
- Oversee the Grants program involving corporations, foundations, and family foundations.
- Serve as a member of the Academy’s senior staff working with the HOS.
- Manage the everyday work and objectives of the members of the Development team.
- Report to and work collaboratively with the Chief Strategy Officer.
- Work collaboratively with the Finance Office to ensure proper gift acceptance recording and reporting policies. Also implement an appropriate stewardship process for all donors, especially those funding endowments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- A deep appreciation of and commitment to the mission of Esperanza Academy—to support, challenge, and inspire each student to embrace their brilliance. We believe that access to foundational knowledge in reading, writing, science, math, music, and the arts is a right. Our program empowers girls to redefine what is expected of them, to counter societal limitations, and take on challenges that will positively impact the trajectory of their lives in Lawrence and beyond.
- Superior leadership skills and an ability to maintain the confidence of senior leadership and the Board of Trustees;
- Highly refined relationship management skills and an ability to create messages that resonate with donors;
- A history of soliciting and closing gifts with significant institutional impact;
- Experience working with highly engaged boards and staffing board committees;
- Highly developed management and organizational skills;
- A collaborative approach with an ability to diplomatically address conflict;
- An ability to lead, inspire, and support a dedicated development team, and to delegate responsibility and prioritize projects;
- Cultural competence and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Excellent communications and presentation skills across platforms;
- Knowledge of emerging development trends and best practices; and
- A robust understanding of planned giving and estate planning concepts and vehicles as well as donor-advised funds.
- A minimum of 10 years as a development professional
COMPENSATION: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Esperanza Academy offers an attractive benefits package including 403(b), medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, and a comprehensive professional development program.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter specifically detailing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and contact information for three professional references to Jadihel Taveras at Jadi@esperanzaacademy.org