Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy, a 625-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative chemistry teacher beginning late August 2023. This full-time position involves teaching five classes of Chemistry including Honors-level and AP sections. Candidates must have a highly developed knowledge of chemistry, and be proficient in running chemistry labs. Knowledge of other science subjects is a plus. The successful candidate will demonstrate the enthusiastic ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a diverse range of academic interests and skills.
Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and developed, varied strategies for teaching chemistry. Fryeburg faculty have significant responsibilities connected with the school’s boarding program and extracurricular offerings. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community. Experience working with students outside of the classroom- tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor- is a plus.
Κnowledge, Skills, Dispositions
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to work with, encourage, and inspire students to seek continuous growth
- Ability and desire to innovate in the classroom
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- A willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Outstanding knowledge of chemistry subject matter
- Understanding of how students learn and best pedagogical practices in chemistry
- A desire to work with students both in and out of the classroom. In particular, a willingness to serve as an academic advisor for a group of 10-14 students for their four years of high school.
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit the following documents in PDF format: application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).