Thayer Academy, Braintree, MA
Perform carpenter maintenance in all Academy buildings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Must be able to successfully perform all of the following duties and other duties as may be assigned. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Construct and repair structural woodwork and equipment in an establishment working from blueprints and/or oral instruction.
- Build, repair, and install counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, building framework and trim.
- Hang sheet rock.
- Install glass in windows and doors; hang doors. Replace damaged ceiling tile and floor tile.
- Perform minor roof repairs such as repairing flashing. Perform masonry repairs and do concrete work.
- Follows standard safety precautions; adheres to operator’s instructions when using power tools; wears recommended protective equipment such as goggles, hearing protectors, and/or work gloves.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
RELATION TO OTHER JOBS
May be asked to install window shades, Venetian blinds, curtain rods, and wall fans. Perform work to assist plumber, electricians, etc. Assist in preparation for graduation and other university functions as directed by supervisor. Assist in snow removal and general care for the campus.
MACHINES AND TOOLS
Power saws, Drills, Carpentry, Hand Tools, Radial Arm Saw, Grinders, Table Saw, Sanders, Jointers
Hot, dry, dusty, noisy
Some overtime required.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions
- Utilize Maintenance Direct, the Academy Work Order System
- Must be familiar with the terminology of the trade: plywood grade marks, grades of lumber, etc.
- Have skill in both cabinetry and structural carpentry.
- Ability to be a team player and work well with others
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent and two years of carpentry experience; OR
- Completion of vocational or apprenticeship program in carpentry/building trades; OR
- Three years of experience in carpentry under the supervision of a skilled carpenter; OR
- A satisfactory combination of experience required.
- Prolonged periods standing, bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Must have a full range of physical motion as required to properly operate manual and electric power tools.
- Must have balance necessary to traverse and work on scaffolding and roofs.
- Will work in a variety of environments and weather with exposure to dust, fumes, and chemicals in both indoor and outdoor construction and carpentry.
- Must be able to regularly lift and carry 50 pounds and 100 pounds occasionally.