Buildings and Grounds and Maintenance
Belmont Day School, Belmont, MA
Belmont Day School is a pre-kindergarten to eighth grade independent school founded in 1927 by a group of parents committed to providing children with an excellent foundation and many opportunities for creative expression. Our six values of honesty, caring, joy, responsibility, respect, and excellence permeate the culture for adults and children.
Buildings and Grounds Maintenance
Reporting to the buildings and grounds supervisor,, this position is responsible for performing general building maintenance and grounds tasks and associated functions in support of the school’s physical plant and campus as directed. This is a full-time, non-exempt position and is eligible for benefits. Typical hours for this position are 1 p.m. to 9 p.m, Monday through Friday. This position begins on July 1, 2023..
- Perform facilities maintenance tasks in buildings and on the grounds including basic preventative maintenance, construction, painting, inspections of mechanical systems, and repairs to furniture and equipment. May perform minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work as needed.
- Perform basic maintenance and repairs on vehicles and equipment including oil changes, fluid level checks, cleaning, and washing.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools and power equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Act as the on-campus contact during facilities rentals with responsibility for overseeing the use of the buildings during this time.
- Assist with snow removal duties, including day, night, weekend, and holiday hours. This may require hand shoveling, salting, and sanding as needed.
- Assist with or perform basic housekeeping-related tasks in buildings including delivery of supplies, basic cleaning duties, and repair of housekeeping equipment as needed.
- Ability to operate tractors, lawn mowers, and other grounds equipment.
- Participate in the call-in system and must be available for emergency maintenance tasks or crisis response related to inclement weather, building or component failure, or other emergencies during nights, weekends, and holidays as needed. A functional phone is required.
- Assist with or perform functions related to setup or breakdown of facility resources for events which may require additional or variable work hours.
- Strict adherence to all safety policies and procedures and participate in safety training as scheduled.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school/technical school diploma and at least three to five years of related or specialized experience are required, preferably in a school environment.
- Basic working knowledge of plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems.
- Ability to perform basic carpentry, painting; vehicle and equipment repair skills.
- Ability to perform snow removal, including the operation of plows, sanders, snow blowers, and other equipment, and manual snow removal.
- Ability to move heavy furniture, dimensional lumber, and other related supplies or equipment.
- Ability to use a wide variety of maintenance tools, including power equipment, hand tools, heavy equipment, and standard and automatic transmission vehicles.
- Ability to perform activities related to facilities maintenance and repair with minimal supervision and adherence to work safety requirements and practices.
- Must be computer literate and able to use building maintenance systems.
This position requires strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. Must be highly reliable and have initiative, energy, and willingness to learn new skills and take on new challenges. Requires a valid driver’s license, and the ability to be contacted on very short notice during off-hours is also necessary.
This position involves walking, standing, bending, twisting, climbing, and frequent carrying of heavy loads. Frequent physical exertion, and operating power tools, machinery, and equipment are required. Must have the physical ability to lift and carry heavy furniture and materials and to negotiate stairs while doing so as well as the physical ability to lift, carry, and operate cleaning equipment as needed.
Please submit a cover letter specific to this position along with a resume to email@example.com.
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a nonsectarian institution. The school is an equal opportunity employer. The school complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities, and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability.