Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Fryeburg Academy, a 625-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an outstanding science teacher who prizes hard work and professionalism. The successful candidate will assume duties in late August 2023. This position involves teaching five sections of Biology, so relevant content-area major or comparable experience in Biology is a must. This teacher will demonstrate enthusiasm for working with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a range of academic interests and skills. Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and developed, varied strategies for teaching biology, including organizing labs. The ability to teach other science subjects is also desirable. Experience working with students outside of the classroom- tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor- is a plus..
Κnowledge, Skills, Dispositions
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Ability to work with, encourage, and inspire students to seek continuous growth
- Ability and desire to innovate in the classroom
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
- A willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Outstanding knowledge of subject matter
- Understanding of how students learn and best pedagogical practices in biology and general science
- A desire to work with students both in and out of the classroom. In particular, a willingness to serve as an academic advisor for a group of 8-12 students for their four years of high school.
Qualifying Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record check.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references. Fryeburg Academy’s application can be accessed by either visiting the employment page of Fryeburg Academy’s website or by requesting one from the Business Office. Application documents can be emailed to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).