Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
One-year, part-time position; 2023-2024 Academic year (10 months) schedule, including one week prior to the beginning of school.
The science department seeks a passionate, energetic, and innovative biology teacher who is interested in being part of a collaborative group of biology teachers and working with highly motivated high school students in a diverse, mostly residential community. Candidates must have Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in biology or related field and classroom teaching experience. Candidates with experience/ability teaching Anatomy and Physiology are encouraged to apply. Enthusiasm for working with adolescents both inside and out of the classroom is essential. There may be opportunities to take on additional work in other aspects of school life, such as tutoring in our learning center, coaching, or doing evening dorm duty.
Candidates should demonstrate…
- A broad background in biology and the ability to teach at the introductory level.
- Experience teaching in a classroom setting for a minimum of two years preferred.
- Willingness to enforce all school policies and rules governing student behavior.
- A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
This position is a part-time, one-year teaching position with up to four sections per term.
- Teaching: All classes are student-centered discussions around a Harkness table. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Diversity or cultural competency education (conferences, seminars, in-service programs, coursework, independent study.
- Criminal background check
- Driving Record Check
- COVID Vaccine Policy: Phillips Exeter Academy requires all community members without a medical or religious exemption to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters. *With the exception of a PEA-approved medical or religious exemption.
In addition to a CV, applicants should submit a cover letter and/or teaching statement indicating a specific interest in teaching at a residential high school that is actively committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The hiring committee will begin the applicant review process on March 24, 2023.