Beaver Country Day School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Beaver Country Day School – an independent day school located just outside of Boston – serving grades 6-12, seeks an experienced, enthusiastic, and energetic Athletic Trainer. This is a full-time position for the 2023-2024 school year that will report directly to the Director of Athletics and Fitness.
Who We Are:
We are not your typical independent school. Education is not traditionally seen as forward-thinking. But that’s not the case at Beaver. Across all departments and functions, we welcome change and seek feedback to continuously improve. Our “Launch, Test, Refine” mindset promotes flexibility, risk-taking, open-mindedness, and innovation. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real-world context and experience, and our clients are our students.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Athletic trainer must have knowledge about a large range of medical problems. Assessment and evaluation skills and working with other healthcare professionals will be needed.
- Decision-making skills: Ability to think critically and make independent decisions
regarding the assessment, treatment, rehabilitation, and return-to-play decisions.
- Attention to detail: should be thorough and detailed with injury tracking and
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to communicate effectively in high-stress/pressure situations
when talking to patients, medical professionals, staff, and families.
- Must have the ability to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple tasks.
- Provide athletic training coverage at all practices and games; mostly on campus, but some may be off campus.
- Provide first aid and injury assessment, treatment, rehabilitation, and reconditioning for student-athletes. The athletic trainer will also be responsible for making appropriate physician referrals.
- Oversee the ordering of supplies and equipment pertaining to the athletic training room and maintain an up-to-date inventory. Provide the Athletic Director with an annual budget for supplies and equipment.
- Develop comprehensive venue and condition-specific emergency action plans.
- Work with school nurse as appropriate.
- Potential to work with designated team physician (when applicable).
- Maintain communication with parents on the care & treatment of their student-athlete.
- Maintain adequate medical records on all injuries and rehabilitation procedures.
- Develop and implement training programs for CPR/AED, concussion, heat illness, sudden cardiac arrest, etc.
- Responsible for concussion assessment and ImPACT testing.
- Responsible for approximately 250 students from the Upper School and Middle School per season.
- Ensure that spaces are safe and inclusive at all times.
- Could include some administrative support of the athletic department.
Qualifications / Certifications Preferred:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred
- BOC Certification
- MA Athletic Training Licensure
- CPR/AED First Aid Certification
- NATA membership
- Work is of medium demand, including frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects.
- Medium strength is required to position patients for examination.
- May assist patients as needed, helping them on and off the exam table and/or playing field.
- Must be able to work in outdoor conditions.
Additional things to know:
- Generous paid time off and benefits. For more information visit our website.
- Breakfast and lunch provided, as well as coffee and snacks.
- Professional development opportunities and associations dues.
- Free parking and close to the MBTA Green Line D.
- Complete vaccination against COVID-19 is currently a condition of employment at the School. The School considers requests for exemption on medical or religious grounds on a case-by-case basis. The School’s COVID-19 and other policies are subject to change at any time.